Got mustard and it's not on a hotdog

Think I got mustard. It's light brownish looks like dirt or sand and poofs away like dust if you brush it. The pool has been covered with solar cover for past 5 days. Just showed up last night when I was doing my nightly check of pool. So I brushed all the brown and went up to extreme shock level. Ran filter.

It started like this.
FC 4.5
CC 1
Ph 7.2
CYA 35 last weekend (had some rain)
TA 90 2weeks ago

Added 1gal cheap bleach 11ppm
Brushed pool. Check again in 30mins

FC 15
CC 1
Ph 7.2

Added 2ND gal of bleach 11ppm more. Test 30min

FC 26
CC 1
Ph 7.2

Now at mustard shock level. Left filter run.

Checked 7am before work Approx 8hrs later.

FC 19
CC 1
Ph 7.2

7ppm drop!

I added another gal or 11ppm before I left and brushed again and filter running. Solar cover still on. Im going to check levels brush and vac when I get home and do a really good backwashing.

Im leaving for the weekend. Tomorrow at noon coming home sun at noon. Hopefully it won't go crazy while im gone. I was gonna get it up to 30ppm before I leave and run filter on 12hr cycle.

Im pretty good with checking levels I check Atleast once a day. I have noticed the increased demand 4-6ppm with the cover on. But thought my CC was just due to the cover. Guess I was wrong. I'll increase filter run time from 4hrs to 8. After I pass OFCL test. And I'll be buying a wall climbing auto vac. Hopefully that will prevent any issues in the future.

Test results
FC 15..... Wow
CC 1
Ph 7.2

I pulled cover and added half gal.

Now it's

FC 22
CC 1
Ph 7.2

At docs now will test when back home before brushing and vac and backwash.

Potential loss of 15ppm daytime with solar cover on. Although it was 90deg here today and very sunny. And I ran my solar.

Interesting FC drop. I'll test my CYA after my backwash. We did get some rain couple inches

Ok tested before brush and vac and had this

FC 22
CC 1
Ph 7.2

That was filter running and cover off after adding the half gal.

Now after brushing and vac and good long back wash and rinse this is what we have.

FC 20
CC .5
Ph 7.2
CYA 20

I did just add 1cup borax to boost PH as I will be adding stabilizer.

Think im going to test once more for night so I get a final FC, CC and PH and then cover up and let pump time out. Retest in am for OFCL test go from there.

All the algae I brushed the first night has yet to return hope it stays that way.

final test of night!

FC 18
CC 1
PH 7.5

So I've decided that im going leave pool un-covered for the night, not worried about heat loss since its supposed to be nice for the weekend and it will be covered back-up. Also removed skimmer and running threw wall suction for the evening going to run all night stop just before sunrise. I'll be testing in the AM for overnight loss and see where I stand in my battle. I will be adding my stabilizer in the AM and my dosage of bleach and will check FC again before I leave at noon when I'll give final dosage of bleach set pump timer for 12hr shifts and covering it up and hoping for the best!

May I ask why the pool is always covered? It needs to breathe. The sun helps burn off CC. I'm not surprised you have algae with the cover on so much.

Overnight it only dropped to a 17 so it would have passed. CC in the morning were still 1 left cover off and filter running till got home tested and got this

FC 11
CC .5

So it would be safe to assume that it prob would have passed again tonight but won't know cuz im not gonna be back until Sunday. So I added 3/4 gal bleach got my stabilizer hanging in there covered the pool up and turned the filter on. Hope all is well when I get home cuz first thing im doing is pulling the cover. Then im testing. Then im swimming!

Update! Returned home to good news. Pool tested good upon returning.

FC 11
CC 1

I pulled the cover and tested again before night was down to

FC 8
CC .5
PH 7.2

Im going to run a overnight loss check in the morning but right now we are at

FC 8
CC .5
PH 7.5 I added borax due to drop from stabilizer.

Pool is vacuumed and very clean. Hopefully we pass

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.