Getting ready to SLAM

Jul 16, 2013
My pool actually never really cleared up last year. It's 17,000 gallons and is green/cloudy. I have read through the SLAM procedure and I have bought a proper test kit (Taylor) and tested the water. My current values are:

FC .5
CC 3
CYA 70
PH 7.2

I do know that CYA is part of my problem - years of using pucks. I am no longer using them or granulated chlorine, I am using liquid from the pool store and bleach.

According to the chart, I need to get my shock chlorine level to 28, which I think is going to take a LOT of chlorine. I can't seem to find any chart that indicates even a ball park at how much I might need. I do have 4 (5 gallon) containers available. Is it just trial and error until I get it to 28? Any other tips before I start?

Great, thanks. Pool math said I will need 435 oz, I'm just going to dump in a whole 5 gallon container. Next question: In my experience with this pool (never clearing up last year) I can dump that container in this morning and this evening the shock level will be well below the target level. I know the SLAM procedure says to check frequently, and I can check several times per day - should I dump more in as soon as I see it goes below 28? (using pool math to calculate how much).

Great, thanks. Pool math said I will need 435 oz, I'm just going to dump in a whole 5 gallon container. Next question: In my experience with this pool (never clearing up last year) I can dump that container in this morning and this evening the shock level will be well below the target level. I know the SLAM procedure says to check frequently, and I can check several times per day - should I dump more in as soon as I see it goes below 28? (using pool math to calculate how much).
Exactly. In the early stages, it will drop off rapidly. You might need to add as soon as an hour later. But don't get carried away with the testing, either. You need to allow the stuff to mix well. Be sure to brush a lot. That gets the chlorine into the areas with poor circulation as well as scraping off the protective slime.

I would not add a full 5 gallons. The higher you raise the FC, the more you will lose to the sun. You only need 3.5 gallons to reach shock level.

But ... in the early stage it is likely that the FC is consumed pretty quickly by the stuff in the water and not the sun. Just realize later you may not want to be so aggressive.

If Math calls for 435 oz then just estimate 3 1/2 to 4 gallons of the 5 gallons. Circulate an hour and retest to see where you are. You may want to add more at that point, or wait another hour and retest. Liners can be harmed by too high FC though plaster won't be. Not sure what you have.

Take notes on what you test, what you add, how the FC falls, when you brush, all that. It will help you predict how much you need to add each time to keep it just above your shock FC target at all times.

Here's the update: At 2:30 I put in an estimated 4 gallons of chlorine. At 4:00 I tested and the FC was 3 certainly higher than the .5 pretreat, but nowhere near the needed 28. Should that have happened?

I did put in 4 more gallons, by the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: I checked again at 5:30, same result, FC 3. I dumped in 5 gallons of chlorine and went to a baseball game. I returned at 8:30, checked again, still FC 3. I dumped in the chlorine I had left. Summary: since 2:30 this afternoon I have dumped in 15 gallons of chlorine and I'm still at 3. I can go to the store first thing. Is it really going to take that much to get to 28?

Update: I checked again at 5:30, same result, FC 3. I dumped in 5 gallons of chlorine and went to a baseball game. I returned at 8:30, checked again, still FC 3. I dumped in the chlorine I had left. Summary: since 2:30 this afternoon I have dumped in 15 gallons of chlorine and I'm still at 3. I can go to the store first thing. Is it really going to take that much to get to 28?
There may be a problem with the test kit. You are using the K-2006, correct? If FC is really high and you don;t use enough powder, it may read low. After you add the powder and mix it, there should be one or two undissolved crystals left. If there aren't, you need more powder.

If by chance, you're using the K-2005, the DPD test can bleach out with high FC.

You may also have ammonia, which would explain the high CC readings and the unquenchable bleach thirst, or there may be organics lurking unseen beneath the cloudy water consuming chlorine. That's why we say to physically remove as much debris as possible early on.

The test kit is brand new, it's a 2006. I have noticed there were undissolved crystals in there and was concerned that might be a problem, but apparently the opposite is true (?) - so looks like no problem there.

There are some leaves in there. I did (and continue to) try to get as many of them out as possible. I use one of those big leaf net things, and I don't get many in it anymore, but some do float to the top where I skim them and/or the skimmer gets them. So that is a real possible problem. Anything else I can do about that?

Morning update, day 2. I checked the FC and TC levels this morning, FC was still at 3 and TC was only at 5 (which surprised me). So it appears that it can maintain at 3 for at least 12 hours. However, I need to be at 28. I know the math doesn't really work this way, but if I put in 15 gallons of 12% chlorine yesterday and only got to 3, I'd have to put in 9 times that amount to get to 28 (or 27 five gallon containers of chlorine at a cost of nearly $500). I am questioning if I will ever be able to put in enough chlorine to get to the needed 28. Help, please?

It does not work that way. Just add what PoolMath says to get to your target. Then test after at least 30 minutes to see where you are.
And report FC and CC ... we do not care about CC.

So far today, 8 more gallons of chlorine (23 total over two days) and still at 3 FC. I really am having some doubts here folks.... Pool Math continues to call for 400+ ounces.

The SLAM process will work. Whether it is organics or ammonia, it is still the process you need to follow to clear the pool.

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. That will help us help you.

Are you testing FC 30 minutes after dosing? Are you able to get to SLAM FC of 28?

Are you willing/able to do a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA?

If you are able, the more times you can raise it back to SLAM level after the sun is off the pool, the better. All FC will go to kill whatever is eating the FC.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you need to brush/scrub every nook and cranny. If you have lights they need to be removed from the niches and cleaned out. Ladders/steps, all need a good scrubbing. Algae loves to hide.

The SLAM process will work. Whether it is organics or ammonia, it is still the process you need to follow to clear the pool.

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. That will help us help you.

Are you testing FC 30 minutes after dosing? Are you able to get to SLAM FC of 28?

Are you willing/able to do a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA?

If you are able, the more times you can raise it back to SLAM level after the sun is off the pool, the better. All FC will go to kill whatever is eating the FC.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you need to brush/scrub every nook and cranny. If you have lights they need to be removed from the niches and cleaned out. Ladders/steps, all need a good scrubbing. Algae loves to hide.

I check an hour after dumping in chlorine - as outlined on the SLAM page. I started yesterday afternoon (dumping in a total of 15 gallons of 12% chlorine in 4 doses) and not once have I got a FC reading greater than 3 after an hour (CC does go up, however). Same thing today, so far I have put in 10 gallons, no reading above 3.

I actually did partially drain and refill, that's how I got the CYA down to 70, I am not really able (or willing) to do that again at this point.

My frustration here is that I have not ever got it above 3, nowhere near the required 28. I don't doubt the process will work, I doubt I will be able to get it there.

I don't know how to put my pool stats in the signature. It's a 17000 gallon in ground, vinyl liner, sand filter (new sand last year), 16x32, six foot deep end.

I have scrubbed what I can see/reach, and I have vacuumed (even though I can't see). I have not seen the bottom of this pool in two years. I can't get in to scrub now because of the high chlorine level, but it has been scrubbed and I do continue to do the best I can with no visibility below about 1 1/2 - 2 feet.

The thing to remember is that unless there is something wrong with your chlorine or test kit (both unlikely) then the chlorine you add is being eaten up by something in the water. The idea of a SLAM is to aggressively add chlorine (add/test/add/test...) so you reach that point quickly, rather than taking a WAG at what's in the water and dumping a big pile in at once.

You need to get the FC level up in order to get ahead of what's in the water (unless you're dealing with an ammonia problem, in which case you just need to add enough chlorine eventually) -- wondering if it would be worth testing & adding every 30 minutes until your FC comes up. With an algae problem if you add chlorine slowly enough you can add it forever and not get anywhere...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.