first time slamming have need help!

Jul 5, 2013
Greenwood, IN
this is my first time slamming my pool. this started on 6-19 water was really cloudy. I have a 38,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool
first test results on 6-20
fc 1.5
cya 55

since 6-20-14 I have followed the slamming procedure and have been testing & shocking with liquid chlorine at least 2 times a day sometime 3 times a day. I have put in a total of 73 gallons of 10% shock and I still lost 14 ppm over night. water is really clear and looks good. I just want some input form you guys as far as what to do next? just keep slamming?

here are the test results from this morning at 7:30 am

fc 15
cc 0
ta 150
cya 70

my ta is high but is that because the chlorine is so high?
what do I do next?
thanks in advance for your help
John

Welcome underdog.
I'm a newbie here but will get you started.
A CYA rate of 70 (why is it going up...make sure you don't have pucks in pool) should be at a FC of 28 when Slamming.
Make sure to keep it that high by checking at least twice a day.

Other more experienced users will be by shortly.

the cya is high because I have used powder & pucks for the last 5 years. I have only been using liquid since starting the slam. and I have been shocking to fc 28
I was going to try to do some draining & get the cya level down once I am done with the slam. it just seems to be taking forever on this slam, not sure how long it takes and if im doing something wrong

jd-underdog, I'm no expert either, and I'm sure the Moderators will answer soon, but here's a cut & paste from the SLAM instructions. Follow this and you can't go wrong - just be patient:

Prerequisites:
•You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test
•You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.
•It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.
•Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
•Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
•Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

SLAM:
1.Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
2.Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day
3.Backwash or clean the filter as needed
4.Vacuum up debris as needed
You are done when:
A.CC is 0.5 or lower;
B.You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
C.And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

V/r, ~ Pat

You say the pool is clear and are reporting 0.0 CC. What are the results of your OCLT?

****Edit

Oops, I missed the 14 loss in your first post. That is a lot to loose unless you are eliminating ammonia. You just have to keep,up,the SLAM until all three criteria are met.

I have been following the slam procedures as stated above. just wanting to make sure im not missing something. 73 gallons of shock seems like quite a bit & aim still adding!
Sometimes it takes a lot to oxidize/sanitize the stuff you don't want in your water. Like I said above, ammonia can be the worst at consuming the chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I have been following the slam procedures as stated above. just wanting to make sure im not missing something. 73 gallons of shock seems like quite a bit & aim still adding!

It is but that's a good sized pool.

How easy would it be for you to dump water out and refill to help lower that CYA some ??

Do you have lights in the pool and if so have you removed them and checked/cleaned behind them ?? Same with any removable ladder. If you can pull them and check the underside of the steps to see if anything is holding on there ?? Scrub and thoroughly rinse. If you find algae best to spray with bleach once washed before putting back in.
Do you have a solar cover and have you been using it, have you checked it to make sure noting is on it ??

And yes it does seem at times like you're just tossing bleach into a bottomless pit but the system does work. Might be a good time to post a picture of the green monster you're dealing with.

Please put the following information in your signature.
The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a test kit from a pet supply store. They use them for aquariums.

I do not have any ladders in the pool. I do have a light in the deep end. Should I take it out? What's the best way to clean the light cavity & light? I do not have a solar cover. I have an auto cover but I have left the cover open since I started the slam process. I have an in ground vinyl liner pool 38.0000 gallons with a sand filter. & an auto chlorinater that used the pucks. I have not used the chlorinater since starting the slamming. I could drain water & refill pretty easy just wasn't sure if I should try that in the middle of the slam. I know 70 cya is high. What's a good cya number to be at?

- - - Updated - - -

My water is looking better it's not green. It is clear, maybe a little cloudy. But a lot clearer than when I started

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to drain some & refill to drop my cya but was going to do it after the slam

So will slamming take care if ammonia if that's what it is?
yes it will, it just takes a lot of chlorine. To answer your question above, fish/aquarium stores have ammonia test strips, but it only tells you it's there there is no other way yo get rid of it other than what you are already doing.

Yes, you could do a partial water exchange during a SLAM. Lower CYA means lower FC shock level.

If the water is clearing you are starting to,see the progress. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.