Pool first aid

Jun 24, 2014
Chicago, IL
Anyone ever have any luck with "Pool first aid" by natural chemistry? I put some in today and hoping for the best. I been switching cartridges out all day and cleaning them for at least last 10 hours. They are still getting clogged up pretty fast. About an hour is all I get out of them before I have to rinse them again.

Pool First Aid is an enzyme treatment, useful for breaking down oils and other organic residue in the pool. It is really only useful when you have a very high rate of oil buildup, for example when a number of people who swim constantly are fond of using tanning oil (or similar products).

It does not help clean up algae in any meaningful way. If there is algae, or other solid debris, in the pool, it needs to be filtered out as normal, which takes time.

Pool First Aid is what the pool store had recommended to me before I found this website. I remember the instructions were that once I put it in the skimmer I wasn't supposed to backwash the filter until it had run for a total of 48 hours. The first aid is supposed to break things down inside the filter so I'm not sure it will do much in a cartridge system when you are washing out the cartridge every hour. The question is what is the condition and/or test results of your pool so everyone will know what you are trying to fix?

As a fairly new pool owner myself, I can attest to the fact that our local pool store was quick to push this item on me last season as well when late in the summer I started getting some cloudiness. I was given the same instructions on use as others in this thread and saw absolutely no change or improvement. In fact, my water never got back to crystal clear until the cold of winter, but as soon as things warmed-up here in 2014 - bam! ... cloudy again .... until TFP! I finally bore-down and stuck with the tried & true SLAM method and my water is absoluetly crystal after about 3-4 days. I can easily see the S. Texas scorpions who made the fatal plunge into our deep end. :) Haven't seen it this good since we first filled it up. Oh, and by the way, I still have that Pool-Aid bottle (almost full) sitting in my cabinet. It will not be going in my TFP-maintained pool. :) Good luck!

As I pointed out in your other thread, it's probably a chemistry issue. If you aren't killing the algae faster than it can reproduce, you'll just have an endless supply of bleached carcasses that will never ever clear, no matter how often you clean the filter. No magic potions will help.

You can choose to listen to the pool store and let them empty your wallet or you can get test results and attack the actual problem - whatever it is - our way. There really is no hybrid method.

attachment.php

Do u think I should have pool store test my water? Or should I wait to get my Taylor kit?

- - - Updated - - -

Meant for last post to be a reply to you. I think I am gonna disconnect my return and run it into s sewer so I can back alage on bottom. The first aid dropped it all to bottom. But I am scared because my fc is only one. That's what pool first aid said it should be. I think I need to shock it again and vacuum right away. Maybe 2 gallons will do it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.