Valve Will Not Screw Into Filter

Jun 25, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
I just purchased a Hayward SP0712 Series Vari-Flow Valve and cannot get it to screw into my Truflo TM 60 fiberglass sand filter. It is the same model valve as was previously on the filter, which WILL screw on. The new valve will not catch the threads properly to screw on. The filter is very old, and the valve I'm replacing is 17 years old. I'm pretty sure the threads on the valve are not aligning properly to the threads on the sand filter. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a new sand filter? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, somewhere in the past the thread style on that valve and filter got changed from one type to another. They're physically the same size but the thread profile is different.

Can you post a picture of the valve and the filter top?

Also are you sure it's a Hayward filter? Truflo filters were originally made by Heldor and bought by Pentair.

Thank you very much. That would explain why I can't get the new Hayward valve to screw into the old Truflo filter. I ordered a Hayward valve because that's what was on there previously. I will post a pic of them both when I get home later today. I'm glad to learn about thread profiles; just wish I had known about them before ordering the darn valve! Now my pool will continue to be green-brown until I can get this solved. :(

It turns out that there are three versions of this Hayward Multiport Vari-Flow 1-1/2" valve:

V thread - SP07122
Buttress thread - SP07121
Clamp-on

I ordered the Buttress thread but should have ordered the V thread. I've now ordered the V thread and as soon as it arrives I'll try it out and report back.

Oh, and one other thing. Thank you, Bama Rambler, for telling me that "somewhere in the past the thread style on that valve and filter got changed from one type to another. They're physically the same size but the thread profile is different." That is exactly what happened. The pre-1991 valve and filter were V thread, whereas those after that date are Buttress thread. Your answer is what enabled me to figure out that the same valve comes in three different versions (which I completely overlooked on the Inyopools website). I have since learned about thread profiles, which I didn't know about previously. So, thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.