Electrical Issues

itodd

Jul 15, 2013
Gastonia, NC
This is my second season with the pool. I have the SWG and the pump plugged into an outside power outlet. The safety outlet with the special switch (can't remember the name) is in the bathroom. I went to turn on the SWG and pump and had no power. I went inside the house and reset the outlet in the house. Seconds later the unit reset button popped and again I reset it. This continued to happen.

I went outside and unplugged the SWG and pump from the extensions cords (that lead to the outside outlet). I came back in and reset the button and it is doing fine now. But if I plug up the SWG and pump again, it will pop and have to be reset. We have had two days of a lot of rain. Is it possible there is some water in the outside plugs causing this short? (I always unplug everything before getting in the pool).

I truly don't know anything about electricity but I have the utmost respect for it. Any thoughts or suggestions.

The outlet safety system is called a GFCI outlet. It automatically turned off the power if there is any electricity leaking out of the wires to somewhere else.

Any water on the plug, or in the socket, or in the electrical side of the pump or SWG, can cause the GFCI to trip.

The chances are very good that everything will be fine when it dries out. If you can't wait that long, you could try plugging in just the pump and see if you can get the pump to work without the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.