Water slightly cloudy

We're still battling mustard algae. I noticed that everytime I would try to vacuum it up, the bristles would stir it up before the suction could grab it! So we bought the manual cleaner for a guinite (sp) pool - the kind with NO bristles and just wheels! That made a LOT of difference - we were vacuuming to waste as well. I also added the skimmer sock, which is a miracle tool!! I can't believe how much it catches.

Alas, we didn't stay on top of it long enough, and I hadn't discovered this site at that time. So I followed the pool store's directions :( and wore myself out doing THEIR way. So I'll be hitting the bleach this weekend - or maybe I'll just wait until Monday, so we can relax this weekend.

ssabin said:
I think frustrated is right - patience is key. And since you have the same size pool as I, we both know how much surface their is to clean. Do you have a bottom drain?

If you have successfully won an algae battle, the dead algae remnants will still remain as a white dusty substance in your pool until you get it vacuumed or filtered out. Having a main drain can make this job go much quicker. If not, multiple vacuuming sessions are needed. The problem with vacuuming is that it stirs up the dust before you get it "sucked" up, so you have to let it settle for a bit, and get more of it later.

Yes, I love my main drain!

Good luck!

Nope, no main drain here. But I am happy! No CL loss at all!! FC is 18ppm and CC is 0 just a little cloudy still. But I am going to get in and try to vaccum some later. Tomorrow we are having a pool party
poolparty.gif
with a bunch of kids. So I know I will have to shock again tomorrow night. But at least I feel better know I have beat that algae before it ran off with my pool!
celebrate.gif

Cherie said:
We're still battling mustard algae. I noticed that everytime I would try to vacuum it up, the bristles would stir it up before the suction could grab it! So we bought the manual cleaner for a guinite (sp) pool - the kind with NO bristles and just wheels! That made a LOT of difference - we were vacuuming to waste as well. I also added the skimmer sock, which is a miracle tool!! I can't believe how much it catches.

Alas, we didn't stay on top of it long enough, and I hadn't discovered this site at that time. So I followed the pool store's directions :( and wore myself out doing THEIR way. So I'll be hitting the bleach this weekend - or maybe I'll just wait until Monday, so we can relax this weekend.

If you got m/a don't sit on it! I'd get to putting that bleach in ASAP. And give it at least 1 day and then keep at it. Even though it's only one or 2 days. It's enough time for it to take over your pool and make it even harder for you. Never again will I trust the word of a pool store sales person. Unless it's waterbear of course. If you listen to the great folks here then you will truly have a TFP!! Good luck on getting rid of that m/a. I have seen it in other pools. Luckily I have never had to deal with it and hope I never will.

Thanks Laura. Unfortunately, I've been up all night with some very little baby bunnies (feeding every two hours - long story). And it continues today. Anybody want a baby bunny?

I will get to it either this evening or tomorrow morning. I have to find my notes on all the steps I'd outlined from this site. I don't want to mess this up again! Plus, my DH was digging the trench this a.m. to get the equipment hardwired (we've been running off an extension cord. yes, I know....BAD). So we have dry clay flying around right now. So tonight is a MUST to get the supershock done - mind is just too groggy to deal with it as of now.

Thanks. Oh, one question: How do I know when the mustard algae is dead? Does that type algae turn white also when dead? Does it just become powdery?

Cherie said:
Thanks Laura. Unfortunately, I've been up all night with some very little baby bunnies (feeding every two hours - long story). And it continues today. Anybody want a baby bunny?

I will get to it either this evening or tomorrow morning. I have to find my notes on all the steps I'd outlined from this site. I don't want to mess this up again! Plus, my DH was digging the trench this a.m. to get the equipment hardwired (we've been running off an extension cord. yes, I know....BAD). So we have dry clay flying around right now. So tonight is a MUST to get the supershock done - mind is just too groggy to deal with it as of now.

Thanks. Oh, one question: How do I know when the mustard algae is dead? Does that type algae turn white also when dead? Does it just become powdery?

Awww I want a bunny, LOL actually we already have an English lop named Hunny. He is the sweetest! I have been there, done that too when we had a breeder pair a couple of years ago. NOT fun thing to do.

Definately get to taking care of it as soon as you can. M/A is something from what I have read is very hard to irraticate. They say that this variety is resistant to normal chlorine levels and must be dealt with firmly. So hit it hard and keep on pounding.

Good luck with the bunnies. What kind are they? My nephews grandpa has a bird, emu, osterich, peacock, bird, squirrel and rabbit farm. So we love to go hang out there from time to time.

Well Laura, the bunny thing wasn't exactly voluntary! They are cotton-tails. DH moved a pile of boards I'd stacked strategically so the neighbor's cat would not be able to get into - and the bunnies in the neighborhood would be safe, at least until they were big enough to get out on their own. Sure enough! Mama bunny decided that would be a great home and had 4 little ones. Guess I should have worried more about DH, huh? :) Anyway, I wasn't about to leave them out there, exposed for that cat...again! He'd already eaten 4 babies that DH said we needed to leave alone so the mama could come back for them. So that's my story. They're doing quite well actually. Goat's milk - and watering down system works nicely. Now for a full night's sleep again! :(

On the MA, can you believe TWO employee's at the same Leslie's told me two totally different ways to kill it? The manager was WRONG, of course! Anyway, it was too late by then and I'm worried about bleaching out our liner (only had our pool 2 months). So I've since learned how to maintain an appropriate FC level and am doing that until I can catch my breath from being a bunny mama. I've already bleached out the deep end a bit -- listening to dingbats at the pool stores. Anyway, it's not bad at all. I did figure out to hit it hard (albeit a little late) when I did the Yellow Out - and we kept vac'ing to waste and got most of it. But as everyone on this site probably already knows, if you don't get ALL of it, it comes back!

Are you SURE Hunny doesn't want a playmate? They don't bite...yet! (I think we've highjacked someone here) :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.