Help! SLAMing...yellow water and stains...

May 7, 2013
New Jersey
I'm hoping for some help here. We've been SLAMing our pool for about 5-6 days now and the water has turned yellowish and it's actually staining my white steps and it looks like the liner as well. The water has cleared up tremendously though, it was black when we opened it. I've had it at shock level or above (my husband dumped 5 gallons of pool store chlorine in when he shouldn't had) for almost a week. The deep end is dark and I still can't see the bottom, I can see the shallow end though. When I brush the steps the yellow doesn't come off, so I know it's not mustard algae. I was thinking maybe I had the FC too high and it could've caused it? I noticed the yellow about 3-4 days ago. I'm posting my most recent test results below, I know my TA is a little low but I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The picture (It's not the best) is my steps from this morning, I just went out and they actually look darker yellow now.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 38
Re: Help! SPAMing...yellow water and stains...

The yellow is almost certainly from iron in the water. You can confirm that it is iron by putting a vitamin c tablet on one of the yellow areas on the steps. If it clears up right where the vitamin c is, then it is certainly iron. Once you have confirmed that it is iron, you will want to start using a sequestrant to keep the iron from forming stains or coloring the water.

None of this changes the need to finish SLAMing the pool. The cloudiness isn't from iron, and needs to be dealt with first.

Ok the Viatmin C tablet worked! So now I will continue with the SLAM until the water meets the criteria of an algae free pool? Then go ahead to the AA treatment? Can we swim in between the two? I'd like to give the kids a few days before I tell them no pool again, thanks!

Yes, you can swim between the SLAM and the AA treatment - as long as the FC is below normal SLAM level and above minimum for the CYA level.

As an aside, if you can live with the stains for this swim season, I suggest you wait until the end of the season to do the AA treatment.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.