Intellichlor IC20 not producing Chlorine

Nov 3, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I am assuming some others may have experienced this issue but not able to find a thread...New pool that was completed in March of this year. My intellichlor IC20 SWG does not seem to be producing chlorine. Had it swapped out through warranty program and the new one is not working either. Obviously, the cell is not the problem. All other chemical levels in the pool are perfect. My pool man and the place that swapped it out think it may be that the RPM and or time on my pumps need to be increased. It was programmed to run 3 hours on high speed at 1,750 rpm and then low speed for 5 hours after that. They think that 1750 may not be high enough to trigger the cell to produce chlorine. Do you think the issue is that the RPM is not high enough during the high speed hours, not enough high speed hours (3) or both? Today I set it to run the full 8 hours on high speed at 2450 rpms. Not at home to test the chlorine levels but i will check later. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Problems like this are almost always caused by chemical balance problems. It would help tremendously if you could post a complete set of water test results.

If low speed is a problem the cell will display an error light while the pump is on low speed. You should check to see if that light comes on at low speed.

How large is your pool?

Is the "flow" light coming on. Mine needs a flow rate of >2000rpm for the light to stay on consistently. If my debris trap gets full of leaves, then that slows the flow also and can cause it to drop.

Anyhow - check that the flow light is working (crank up the RPM) and run it for 24 hours and see what happens to the Chlorine level.

Apologies for the delayed response. I have a pool guy who I hired to maintain the pool as soon as the build was done. He assures me that chemical levels are good. In fact, I had to produce full chem results to Pentair in order for them to send someone out to replace the cell. The low flow light has never come on during high or low speed. Have an auto cover on the pool so no debris gets in and blocks anything. The one thing to mention is that the pool temp has been around 95 degrees because has been very warm here the last few weeks. I ran the salt cell for about 15 hours straight at 100 % on high speed and chlorine levels didnt really move. Possibilities include that the replacement cell is also broken, which is low probability or the chlorine is being eaten up faster than it is being produced. I dont think the sun is eating the chlorine because most of the time I have my cover on. My next thought is algae. Would algae show up on any test that my pool man would check? It seems like after adding chlorine to the pool and establishing a good level it will hold for a day or two and then over night it is gone. The pool also doesnt have that sparkle to it that I have only seen a few times since adding water. I am still waiting for local pool shop to get back to me on what next steps are. Thanks all for your insight.

Sadly, "Pool guy said it was fine" turns out to be it is not even remotely close to alright 70+% of the time. Beyond that, I can't really help you without test results. With no idea of what is going on in the water it could be anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.