Pentair Rainbow 300 Chlorinator Issue

Oct 14, 2013
Not sure which forum this should go in, so I am going to fire away here. I just replaced my old 300 with a new 300 chlorinator. My understanding is that when the pump turns off, the water is supposed to drain our of the chlorinator. Is this correct? I've noticed on mine that water is remaining in the unit. Once I open the top, the water then drains out. Anyone have any guess as to why it is not draining correctly? My first guess would be one of the valves is old. clogged, etc., but everything is brand new. Thanks for any feedback/advice in advance.

When you open the lid you release the vacuum on the system allowing the water to drain. Under normal operation the water is pushed through the cylinder. It is functioning as it should, no worries.

Are you aware of the CYA/FC relationship and the fact that the exclusive use of tablets may accumulate CYA in the pool, allowing algae to grow if the FC is not also correspondingly raised?

Very few members here use these chlorinators for the reason described above.

ESPECIALLY in TX where you may not be able to drain and replace water when the CYA gets too high.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Ok, thanks. So I guess it doesn't drain when the pump turns off? Seems like the tabs will just dissolve faster if they continue to sit in water while the pump is off.

i had the same issue with my 320 model. there was a little bit of water with the chlorinator valve in off position. and also when it was turned on, when the pump shuts off it would hold some water as well. the tabs don't dissolve that fast, especially if the water is not flowing. i don't think it's a big issue.

am using Rainbow while raising CYA

same problem here, water does not drain

directions say

1. Turn control valve to the closed position. SHUT OFF PUMP.
2. Wait one minute. This will allow water and fumes to drain from feeder.
3. Leave control valve closed and turn on pump. The check valve will prevent water from
entering the feeder.

but #2 seems to not be true

which is a problem cuz when you add tabs the water can splash or overflow and is nasty
so why is #2 not true now in 3 cases

searched but did not find "the answer"

thank you

PS I put a query on the Pentair forum

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.