Just Discovered TFP, Just Opened Goliath Pool, Just Reconsidered My Life Choices

Jun 25, 2014
Woodstock, GA
Hi there.

I'm sure this story pops up here all the time, but I just discovered TFP and by proxy discovered that I'm doing everything wrong and have been for three years.

I am renting a house that has a gargantuan pool. 40,000 gallons. For several years now, I've been fighting with it, everything from chemical imbalance to algae. So far, this year has been no different, but hopefully that's about to change!

My landlord and I took the cover off late this year, because I was traveling in Indonesia around the time we should've opened it. We opened it to a swampy, smelly, black mess. Chaos immediately filled my head thinking about the vast amount of money that I was going to have to relinquish to the backyard money hole. Especially after traveling for a month and recently getting a small pay cut at my job. Until now, I've been really relying on my rudimentary knowledge of science to deal with the pool, but I'm seeing now that there's a certain "X-factor" of knowledge that you need to do this effectively. Which is why I'm inexplicably happy that this site exists.

So, to explain in the best way I know how, I'll outline what I've done to The Swamp already, and seek advice on where to go from here.

• Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 001: Tested swamp water with ridiculously comprehensive Taylor test kit whose model number I cannot remember. TA 85, PH 8.0, CH 100, FC 0, CC 0, CYA >30. Not terrible. Used Muriatic Acid to lower PH. Water is swampy black and reeks.
  • Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 002: Tested Swamp water. TA 80, PH 7.4, CH 100, FC 0, CC 0, CYA >30. Landlord went to pool store and bought 25 lbs. of Cal Hypo 73% along with some Algaecide. First mistake, but we don't know any better yet. Put 15 lbs. of Cal Hypo 73% in pool. FC obviously skyrockets to around 10. Pool almost immediately changes to deep, opaque green.
  • Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 003: Pool is pale green in the morning, good sign! Test less swampy water. TA 75, PH 7.2, FC 2, CC 5, CYA >30. I freak out. All that chlorine gone already?! But the pool store said... UGH! Still have yet to discover TFP. I decide later that I will put the remaining 10 lbs. of Cal Hypo in that evening. FC shoots back up to around 10. Later, I go out to clear skimmers and see that my water level is dangerously low all of a sudden. Check pump system and realize there's water wasting even though the pump is set to filter. Open pump and find spider gasket all screwed up and sealant degraded. Deal with that in pitch dark, start to reconsider life choices.
  • Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 004: Water color hasn't changed much. I test water this morning with similar results to yesterday except FC is 1.5 and CC is 0.5. I have a mental breakdown and do some research at work. I find you guys. Now I must seek help.

I've read the SLAM article and I've asked my landlord to purchase 30+ jugs of bleach. The unfortunate problem we have is that we both work full time jobs, and therefore cannot test and top off the FC every hour. The absolute best we could do is about every 4 hours, since he is lucky enough to be working from home the rest of this week (still a 20 minute drive to my house). On the weekend, I will be able to care for it hourly.

My questions are as follows. How much ground am I going to lose in terms of what I've already done? And based on my most recent test, should I worry about adjusting anything else in terms of water balance? I mean, I figure I'll soon (praying soon) be vacuuming to waste, so wouldn't adding anything else be kind of just a waste of money? Further, how much bleach can I expect to have to purchase beyond 30 jugs in order to clear all this algae?

When I get off of work today, I'll post up to date test results and try to get some pictures attached. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!! What fun we are going to have helping you finding and getting rid of the CREATURE from the BLACK LAGOON!

Great first step-Good test kit!

Great Second step-lowering the PH!

Great START to the third step-setting SOME of the bleach/chlorine you are going to need.

That 30 gallons will get you started. It could take quite a bit more.

Now my question to you--------do you think there is anything in the water? Leaves, critters, monsters? I see you say "took the cover off" so..............that means it was covered. Could anything get in the pool with the cover on?

To do a good slam you should TRY to have 3 days where you can hit it hard-test FC and add chlorine to get it to SLAM level EVERY hour to start.

Once you have done the 3 day hard slam you should do AT LEAST 3 tests a day (more if possible) for as long as needed.

It could take while and you are going to get many funny looks when you buy your bleach..........

It can be done. It is SO worth it!

Another thing you need to do is order/buy BIG refills of R-0870 (DPD powder) and R-0871 (FAS-Dpd Titration reagent) for all the FC testing you are going to be doing.

Good luck and let us know how else we can help. We LOVE pictures and questions!

Kim

You may want to check into draining and refilling since time is valuable. We did that one year because we just did not want to fool with babysitting a pool. Water, even creek water, will be easier to fool with than babysitting a swamp all day for a few weeks. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic when you are busy. You can use the TFPC method to maintain your pool after that. It really is a great thing. There is a sense of accomplishment when you turn a swamp into an oasis though.

Now my question to you--------do you think there is anything in the water? Leaves, critters, monsters? I see you say "took the cover off" so..............that means it was covered. Could anything get in the pool with the cover on?

I know there are at least leaves in the water. When I added the Cal Hypo, algae-covered leaf corpses started floating up all over the place. I had to change the skimmer baskets nearly every hour after the initial treatment because so many leaves were coming up. I assume the chlorine was murdering the algae and loosening its dastradly grip on the leaves?

As far as how the leaves got in? I have no idea, I'm at a total loss, as we covered the pool last year before autumn. I think this year, I will put sandbags or something around the edges, because there is a small space for organic matter to get through and ruin my life.

Critters and monsters? Aside from the legion of frogs that copulate in the pool each night (leaving me their corpses in the skimmers each morning), I don't think there are any critters or monsters. I have yet to call up Cthulhu though, to find out if he relocated to my backyard. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to check into draining and refilling since time is valuable.

I was under the impression that this was basically impossible in a vinyl IG pool.

You can drain over 1/2 of it, maybe more. So long as you leave ??????????????? (please do a search to make sure) 3 inches???? in the shallow end.

BUT even with draining some/most/quite a bit you will have to SLAM what is left and what you add as it will not be all good yet.

We can get you there. YOU have to tell us what is important to you so we can guide you--------time? Money??? What do you have the most of?

I would be raking blind and getting as much stuff out that you can right now. The more you get out the easier it will be no matter what you decide to do to get to a clear pool.

Or you can get one of these http://www.rakuten.com/prod/the-ult...e&adid=18179&gclid=CJPUwtf-lb8CFVFp7AodJXYA1w

If the link does not work just google pool leaf vacuum.

Once you get it clear it will be a breeze!

Kim

I only got through the first 2 posts and just need to confirm. What test kit do you have?
I am not convinced it is one of the Recommended Test Kits that contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Do you use powder when testing the FC and CC? The reason I ask is your statements like "probably around 10ppm", where with the FAS-DPD you would know exactly what the FC is.

BTW, I agree great first post :goodjob:

OK, back to my reading.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, next issue. You can not drain the entire pool and you must leave at least a FOOT of water in the shallow end if you go that route.

I would be raking blind and getting as much stuff out that you can right now. The more you get out the easier it will be no matter what you decide to do to get to a clear pool.

+1 you need to get out as much "stuff" as possible with that rake. Anything you take out is that much less that the chlorine has to deal with and can spend it's time killing algae. Also, get used to sweeping it daily.

If you get a chance post a picture of the green monster.

Welcome to the forum :wave: You'll find this method easier and cheaper in the long run than doing the pool store "try this" method. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi pwhite! Welcome!

Im watch this one too! Would love to see pics as you go along!

To post unlimited pics -
upload to photobucket
click to full size on the pic you want to post
beside the pic on the right will be 3 lines of code
Click on the code that says IMG beside it (I think the bottom one)
the code will automatically copy
come back here a past it into your message
the pic will show up when you submit the post.

Regarding your CYA... you say it > 30. So that mean between 30 and 40 or way up there? Your SLAM level will depend on it.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 004, Entry 002: I came home today with 30 jugs of bleach. 30 jugs at 121 fluid ounces of 8.25% algae destroying death fuel. Before conducting the ritual, I tested my swamp. TA 70, PH 7.0, CH 160, FC 1, CC 0.2, CYA >30. Then I added the bleach, 4.5 jugs. Thirty minutes later, I tested the water again. According to the FC test, I had only risen to 6 FC, but I'm attributing that to lack of circulation for the time being. I intend to test after I finish writing this post again to see if I need to top it off... Or if the algae had instantly and aggressively consumed my chlorine.

I took some photographic evidence of The Swamp.

After Cal Hypo, Before Bleach: http://imgur.com/kAybjTw
Today Right Before Bleach: http://imgur.com/ts9mhmM - http://imgur.com/OGSQZuu - http://imgur.com/O8JK5rb
Brushy Left, No Brushy Right: http://imgur.com/6rvBCDx
After Brushy and Bleach: http://imgur.com/hoB7pPU

I noticed a lot of questions. I will try to answer them all, give me just a few!

We can get you there. YOU have to tell us what is important to you so we can guide you--------time? Money??? What do you have the most of?

Neither to be quite honest, but I guess more money than time. I work a fair amount.

- - - Updated - - -

I only got through the first 2 posts and just need to confirm. What test kit do you have?
I am not convinced it is one of the Recommended Test Kits that contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Do you use powder when testing the FC and CC? The reason I ask is your statements like "probably around 10ppm", where with the FAS-DPD you would know exactly what the FC is.

My test kit is the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006. It is labelled as FAS-DPD, and I do use the powder. The reason I used the "about" nomenclature was because when you add the second reagent (that you count dropwise until colorless), I would see the water lose color, and after 45 seconds, it would be slightly pink again. This happened quite a few times and if I were to count those drops, my number would actually be 12. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

In summary, colorless happened and color quickly returned. Went with the worst case scenario.

Regarding your CYA... you say it > 30. So that mean between 30 and 40 or way up there? Your SLAM level will depend on it.

My test kit has a mysterious black dot at the end of a tube and it tells me that it should disappear at some point during the test, something that it in fact never does. Since the tube with the mysterious dot's lowest number is thirty, I postulate that my CYA is somewhere between 0 and 30.

Ok, now I'm really befuddled. I just tested FC again, one hour after bleach treatment (calculated to raise it to 10ppm) and I'm getting a reading of 1.5ppm. Does the chlorine become used that quickly? Or has it yet to circulate throughout the water completely?

Yes, your FC levels may get used up that quickly. Add more chlorine to bring your FC levels back up to SLAM level. Test as often as every hour if you can and add more chlorine to keep the FC at or above SLAM level as much as possible.

Yes, your FC levels may get used up that quickly. Add more chlorine to bring your FC levels back up to SLAM level. Test as often as every hour if you can and add more chlorine to keep the FC at or above SLAM level as much as possible.

I don't know, I'm getting a tad skeptical. I started with 4.5 jugs of bleach today, and within half an hour, FC was back down to 1.5. Since then, I've added more than twice that, expending 10 of my 30 jugs, and I have yet to keep the FC at SLAM level for more than half an hour. Is this... normal? At this rate, I am going to need 100+ jugs of bleach and a span of several days where I'm doing nothing but testing and bleaching the pool. I'm not sure that I have that time or money. And, I have to sleep some time. I think.

Dont get befuddled. What you are seeing happening is completely expected by those of us who have done it and see it everyday here on the forum.

The 1st couple of days especially, you have to hit it and hit it very hard and dont let up! There is so much crud in the pool, the FC is getting used up, yes, just that quick!
If seen FC of 20 go to 2 in less than 30 minutes.

The slam instructions recommends to test and add chlorine each hour (if possible). This is why. DOnt get discouraged, the first couple days are tough,,,then after that you wonder what the ****, then after that its OMG! IT WORKED!

:)

Ok, now I'm really befuddled. I just tested FC again, one hour after bleach treatment (calculated to raise it to 10ppm) and I'm getting a reading of 1.5ppm. Does the chlorine become used that quickly? Or has it yet to circulate throughout the water completely?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.