beautiful blue pool... but not clear.

Aug 9, 2010
Hi there~
I started the year with a green swamp, shocked according to the method listed here, and now have a beautiful blue colored pool. The only thing is, I'd like it to be a clear water pool, and can't seem to get there. My filter has been running nonstop for about 3 weeks now, and I think it should have caught up and cleared the gunk by now, so I'm looking for answers. Here are my readings, as of just now:
CYA 50
FC 19 (I shocked it, obviously)
CC .5
pH 7.2
TA 120
CH 160

I'm not sure what my 'signature' says, but I now have a Hayward S180T Sand filter. It's new(er), I got it toward the end of last season, so I believe it's working properly.

Any suggestions on getting this thing crystal clear? Thanks!

Yes, I've backwashed the filter almost daily at first, and less now that it is keeping its pressure steady. I SLAMmed the pool on a few different occassions, but most recently just finished yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

It is holding its FC level, so I *think* I'm done. I cringe to admit that I forgot to test early this morning :(

I should clarify- I started the shocking process two days ago. Last night, I 'finished' (poor choice of words, sorry), meaning I brought it back up to shock level a little before I went to bed. I tested it before I went to bed, but unfortunately forgot to test it first thing in the morning. However, since my FC level is still quite high, I think I must have 'passed' the OCLT.

Not necessarily. What was your level before you went to bed? You see, the problem can only be determined using solid data - meaning numbers. If you told me that your FC went down by 1 or less (overnight), I would say that you have no organic contamination in the pool, Without that info, you can't say that you passed the OCLT.

OK, OK... I failed :( Last night I brought the FC up to shock level, 20, and early this morning when I tested it was 18, so... continuing to slam today and will retest tonight. PAGirl- I read a post about that and printed the instructions out, so we'll see if that helps. I was also reading another post about POP, and I know I need some of that too :) On the side, I'm in PA too :) Will let you all know how things go and report back tomorrow. Happy slamming day :) Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some more questions, please.... I did the OCLT last night, and was very careful with my measuring and testing. My FC was at 20 and when I woke up early this morning(6AM) and tested it was 19. I tested CC's and it was at .5. BUT, my water is still not clear, it's actually a beautiful blue color. I'm wondering if it is something else? or if I should just keep shocking the pool? Will it eventually clear? When I opened it up, I scrubbed the ladder really well before putting it in the pool. I had my older son re-scrub it yesterday when he went in to scrub the walls too. I'll be the first to admit I'm no pro at this, but getting a little frustrated with not having clear water. My filter has been running for nearly a month now nonstop. Just not sure what to do, so I would truly appreciate your help.

I read up on the DE in the filter, but have not done it. (I know this sounds funny, but I cringe to do 'new' things b/c I'm afraid I'll mess it up :) Silly, I know) Would now be the time, I presume? Unless you tell me otherwise, I will start that today then and continue shocking today. Tonight I will do the OCLT again. Another question, will it 'hurt' the process for me if I allow the kids to swim in it? I know they are safe to swim at shock level, but I don't want to hinder the process. Thanks again!

Backwash your filter to make sure that you are getting a clean pressure. Run the pump and take a pressure reading. You only need to add enough DE to bring your PSI up by 1 PSI. Start with 1/4 cup. That might help to clear up this last bit.

Because of last night's OCLT test, I think you're good. Let the kids swim as long as you are sure of your CYA level, and that you are below shock level with your chlorine. Having them in stirring up all the **** is a good thing.

Will do, thanks! I'm sure of the CYA level- I tested it probably 5 times just to be sure with the TF-100 kit. I just backwashed the filter this morning, and will start the DE process. Thank you again! I'll report back tomorrow.

I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but I've been checking on the filter and the PSI increased by 3 and the water pressure coming back into the pool has slowed down to a comparative trickle. Is this to be expected or did I do something wrong? At this point, I plan on backwashing and repeating the DE in the filter. Thanks :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.