Question about automatic vacuums

Jul 21, 2008
I am thinking of getting an automatic vacuum. First off, I own a 30 X 18 inground, kidney shaped, with a deep end of about 8 1/2 feet. I want to get an automatic vacuum. I have a few friends that have above ground pools and they all unanimously recommend the Barracuda. A Baracudda for an above ground is about $170ish, while the inground is almost double that. Why is there such a big differance? Will an above ground work in an inground pool??

I have a barracuda classic, my pool is 16 x 40. Lucky for me, the cleaner came with the pool. I would not buy one for this size pool. I'm slowly looking for a replacement, as the barracuda takes all day to clean the pool. I think I will be going with a robotic cleaner.

The downside I found to a suction side cleaner is my skimmer is technically offline when its cleaning, so the surface will start accumulating debris.

Cliff notes, too much pool for the barracuda.

I have a Barracuda and an Aquabot. I second the comments above. They take forever and get hung up at various places. I only use the Barracuda if the Aquabot is out of commission. That might happen every couple of years. Get a robot.

I don't understand the comment about the inground model attaching to the main drain. When in use mine attaches to the skimmer. I wouldn't want to swim down to the main drain every time I want to clean my pool.

glrfti said:
I don't understand the comment about the inground model attaching to the main drain. When in use mine attaches to the skimmer. I wouldn't want to swim down to the main drain every time I want to clean my pool.

I think dschlic1 meant that the IG Barracudas won't get stuck on the Main Drains like the AG models probably do.

If I'm wrong, sorry,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.