Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about automatic vacuums

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about automatic vacuums

I am thinking of getting an automatic vacuum. First off, I own a 30 X 18 inground, kidney shaped, with a deep end of about 8 1/2 feet. I want to get an automatic vacuum. I have a few friends that have above ground pools and they all unanimously recommend the Barracuda. A Baracudda for an above ground is about $170ish, while the inground is almost double that. Why is there such a big differance? Will an above ground work in an inground pool??
    PJ
    25,000 Gallon
    Gunite Diamondbrite
    Saltwater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about automatic vacuums

I have a barracuda classic, my pool is 16 x 40. Lucky for me, the cleaner came with the pool. I would not buy one for this size pool. I'm slowly looking for a replacement, as the barracuda takes all day to clean the pool. I think I will be going with a robotic cleaner.

The downside I found to a suction side cleaner is my skimmer is technically offline when its cleaning, so the surface will start accumulating debris.

Cliff notes, too much pool for the barracuda.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

The inground models are able to handle the main drain fittings on the bottom of most in-ground pools. The above ground models will get hung up on most main drin fittings.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Barracuda and an Aquabot. I second the comments above. They take forever and get hung up at various places. I only use the Barracuda if the Aquabot is out of commission. That might happen every couple of years. Get a robot.

I don't understand the comment about the inground model attaching to the main drain. When in use mine attaches to the skimmer. I wouldn't want to swim down to the main drain every time I want to clean my pool.
    Gary
    18 x 38 28800 gals gunite inground;Purex Triton High Rate Sand Filter;1 HP 2 Speed Hayward Tristar Pump; Raypak Heater
    Aquabot Bravo; Goldline Aqua Logic Controller/SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by glrfti
    I don't understand the comment about the inground model attaching to the main drain. When in use mine attaches to the skimmer. I wouldn't want to swim down to the main drain every time I want to clean my pool.
    I think dschlic1 meant that the IG Barracudas won't get stuck on the Main Drains like the AG models probably do.

If I'm wrong, sorry,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

6. Back To Top    #6

Oops. Misread that meaning. That makes a lot more sense. I concur the Barracuda does not get hung up on the main drain. Steps, ladder, corners, big leaf...yes. Main drains..nope.
    Gary
    18 x 38 28800 gals gunite inground;Purex Triton High Rate Sand Filter;1 HP 2 Speed Hayward Tristar Pump; Raypak Heater
    Aquabot Bravo; Goldline Aqua Logic Controller/SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

If you don't get a robot take a look at The Pool Cleaner. If you don't have a central vac port, you will need the 4 wheel model, or the pressure model. I have a tough pool where only a Navigator would work, but now The Pool Cleaner seems to be doing as good a job.
    Roughly 15x30 IG Gunite/Diamondbrite, 14,000 gallon
    Heliocol Solar 7(4x10) panels w/Aqua Solar controller, Intelliflo 4x160 pump, Hayward C1200 filter, Autopilot DIG-220 w/SC48 SWG, The Pool Cleaner sweep