Time to add CYA and Chlorine for the first time ever...

May 17, 2014
Winnipeg
YESSSS! Another hour and pool will be filled. This website and the moderators/knowledge base is just awesome! It has helped so much with the site prep and general confidence level.

I just tested with the following results:

FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
pH=7.2
TA=80
CH=100
CYA=0 (assumed this number because it is brand new water from city, is that ok?)

Once the water fill is done and the pump/hoses are verified I believe I will need to add the following based on The Pool Calcalator.
1. Add 48 oz of my 8.25% bleach
2. Add 32 oz of CYA stabilizer using the sock in front of outlet method

Does this look correct?
Also, I have some hand me down Sun brand conditioner to use but it has got to be atleast 5 years old. Does it go bad or do you think that will be ok to use?

Did I say this site was the best?! I feel like Walter White using my new TF-100 test kit and SpeedStir

What you have should work (are the ingredients high 90's % CYA) but don't put all the CYA in at once. Undershoot your goal then slowly bring it up. You don't want to overshoot

OK, so I should add about 24 oz and wait 4-5 days to retest and add a bit more if needed? The container doesn't say actual % of CYA.

Should I add the bleach as soon as the pump is circulating?

How long should I leave the pump running 24 hours a day for? I think eventually it will only be needed for 4 hours a day.

Add the 32oz ... you want to have the CYA at 30ppm as a minimum anyway. Verify it a week after it dissolves, but assume you are at 30ppm to determine FC levels.

Add 2ppm of bleach when the pump fires up, 30 minutes later check and adjust the pH.

Technically there is no reason to run the pump 24/7 at all. But you may want to for the first day to help get teh CYA dissolved. Squeezing the sock speeds that up.

OK, so I should add about 24 oz and wait 4-5 days to retest and add a bit more if needed? The container doesn't say actual % of CYA.

Should I add the bleach as soon as the pump is circulating?

How long should I leave the pump running 24 hours a day for? I think eventually it will only be needed for 4 hours a day.
no need for 24 hour circulation unless you are conducting a SLAM.

Even without the pump running, you can add some bleach and brush the pool to get a little circulation. You don't want to let anything start to grow.

The SUN website says "Add 1 lb. per 3,000 gallons to raise stabilizer to the initial level of 40 ppm". Pool Math says for 3,000 gallons you need 16 ounces CYA to go from 0 to 40, so I think you got 100% CYA there. Your idea of 24 oz then wait to test should,work.

Thanks everyone. I've added the CYA and am going to check and keep my FC at 2PPM for the next week, then check the CYA level.

Question about the CYA test in my new TF-100 kit though. The instructions say to fill the red-capped CYA mixing bottle to the bottom of the label with pool water, then fill the bottle to the top of the label with R-0013. The red-capped mixing bottle in my kit doesn't have any label on it. Did they miss that? Can someone send me a pic of theirs or let me know the approximate ratios?

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I've added the CYA and am going to check and keep my FC at 2PPM for the next week, then check the CYA level.

Question about the CYA test in my new TF-100 kit though. The instructions say to fill the red-capped CYA mixing bottle to the bottom of the label with pool water, then fill the bottle to the top of the label with R-0013. The red-capped mixing bottle in my kit doesn't have any label on it. Did they miss that? Can someone send me a pic of theirs or let me know the approximate ratios?

Thanks
Shoot an email to [email protected] they will take care of it for you. You have a week before you need to test.

Koo. I checked mine and it's 15mls of pool water to the bottom of the label and 15mls of R-0013 to reach the top of the label.

Here's a pic of mine next to a tape measure. Hope it helps

yjevyzy8.jpg

Schroedz.

Thanks

Yes, the label it was missed.
Ratio is 1:1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been 7 days following this method and I'd like confirmation that I'm on the right track. I've been testing FC and pH daily and most days on average I've been reading FC at 0.5 to 1 so I've been adding between 6 to 18oz of bleach to bring it back up to 2. On day 1 I added 3 cups of CYA to slowly reach my goal of 30. On day 4 I measured a pH of 7.2 so I added 10oz of Borax to reach my goal of 7.5. The water has been very clear throughout.
Today my readings are:
FC=1.5
CC=0.5
TC=2
pH=7.5
TA=70
CH=100
CYA=24
I've just added 18oz of bleach to aim for 3ppm and 6oz more of CYA.

Does this look alright? The TF-100 testkit says to keep a consistent chlorine level of 2 so I'm going to aim for 3 because it seems like my pool eats 1 to 1.5 ppm per day. Should I aim higher?

Question about the TA test. When adding the R-0009, am I looking for the first instance of a color change to red or for it to change to red permanently? It normally takes another 3 or 4 drops for it to stay red permanently.

Should I be concerned that the CC is 0.5?

Thanks!

Now that your CYA is higher, you need to maintain higher FC levels. See the chart in the handy reference section of Pool School.

All tests are done until the last drop causes no further color change and that last drop does not count.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.