Solar Cover Use

Jun 22, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Hello Everyone, I have a question about using my solar cover. Since my pool is in the sun quite a bit I of course lose lots of chlorine during the day. My water is nice and warm and I don't really want to put the solar cover on. But I am thinking it will stop the sun from eating so much chlorine. My question is will the warmer water from using the cover promote other issues with the water itself. IE: Algea or other problems?? I've been doing good with the BBB and I dont want to create problems!

I removed mine after discovering that when we unrolled the cover it was releasing "steam". We had the reel covered but we were creating a perfect environment for algae growth. Then, obviously, when we put the cover back on the pool in the evening it was like putting a blanket of algae on top of the water. Chlorine probably get eaten up trying to kill what's being put in the water from the cover. I will only use my cover from now on early/late in the swimming season when conditions aren't so favorable for algae growth on the cover itself.

Depends on location. You are in MD so it may not be as humid as it is down south I would think.

I am in ND so even though it gets to 90+ here with some humidity, the evenings get in the 60s. I do what Jason suggests, and that is to take it off during the week, if you are not using it.

We use ours after work right up until it gets close to dark, and then we cover it back up again. Water temp is at 85 right now and then it usually stays there consistently regardless of the cooler evenings. Much less FC loss. We loose about .5-1 ppm with the cover on and usually 2ppm when we have it off all day so the solar cover is a huge benefit for that, along with reducing the Crud that blows in the wind as well.

Never heard of steam occuring? Must be really hot for that to occur.

Try to see what works for you would be my suggestion!

Thanks for the replies.

Hey Reindeerboy.. How do you like ND we are looking to move and 60 at night sounds great. I hate running the air conditioner and also my BGE bill. LOL Believe it or not we get lots of humidity. Also wind from being on the water.

I dont reel the cover up I just stretch it out over a table or over my clothes line if its free. Which is seldom cause a family of 5 makes a lot of clothes... and bathing suits and towels ; ) As for the cover I will just keep the routine of covering at night or when we are done swimming and removing it when I get home from work about 1:00 so we can swim. Rarely is there a day we dont use the pool. I love my pool. I would rather be out there than in the house cleaning ya know!!!

Thanks again! Happy pool day!

Its really beautiful out here. The sunsets are awesome! You should come visit! Its a small town here in Jamestown but is awesome to raise your kids in. No crime practically. Fishing and hunting is AWESOME!

Take a look in my sig and you will see some pics of my backyard to give you an idea of what we have here.

I will say this, the winters can be brutal here LOL, but I love living in ND. :goodjob:

We get all 4 seasons. Hot in the July and August months. Spring and fall is in the 40-60 range. Winters are really not bad. Icefishing is awesome along with snowmobiling. Of course there is that occasional 40 below windshield outside, but you get used to it.

I grew up here and have seen other states and would not trade ND living for anything. Well almost nothing! :-D

Hey Chad, I feel rude not having replied.... Sorry :cry: Sounds like a great place to live. I actually saw myself a hunting widow as soon as I read your post. LOL Don't know if I could handle those winters though. I am thinking more south these days. Kind of leaning towards South Carolina. Trying to do some research about it. Thanks again! Paula

You are welcome Paula.

You should still try to visit. Our summers are awesome out here. You cant beat the sunsets.

Winters are still nice for the majority of the time. I love winter myself as I love to ride snowmobile.

I have never been to South Carolina but the guy we bought our current home from last year that has the pool we now own, moved there. I did hear back from him and they love it down there.

Have a fantastic day! :wave:

FWIW, we leave our solar cover on ALL the time when we're not in the pool. Lately it has been getting take off at least every other day though. In the beginning of the summer when the water was still warming up and outside was cold, the cover would often stay on the pool for over a week and we've never had any problems.

HTH,
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry :oops: On and off with the solar cover everyday seems to be working the best. It is on for the morning sun that the pool gets so I save a little chlorine that way. Left it off a couple days and geez the water got cold fast. So I do make sure it gets put back on after we are done for the day. Left it on a couple days straight and with rain added in the middle of there got some green sooo.... I think I will just have to be more careful. Thanks for the replys.

When its hot, I try to let my pool breathe a bit each day and then put the cover back on before bed at night. Seems to have been working great as no algae, crystal clear water, and the temp today was 86. Swam to midnight last night and 11 tonight.

Wouldnt own a pool without a solar cover. I have a thermalite blue/black solar cover and have found that to be pretty darn reliable. Had to take it in once for a warranty, and they took care of everything so now I have a new solar cover for next year without spending a dime. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.