Cannot get this union nut on for the life of me

gh0st

Jun 12, 2014
Danbury
I sprung a leak the other day in supply line to my heater. I cut out all the old and got all the new stuff in, but after trying for about two hours my dad and I could not get the union nut onto the fitting after about an hour of trying. We tried the old nut to see if maybe we got the wrong type, but the old nut won't go on either. It feels like the threads aren't matching up; they start to grab but then it pushed itself off. Has anyone else run into something like this before? The company that opened the pool got them on somehow, so I'm either going to call them or bypass the heater for now. It's just a little frustrating because it's something that looks so simple.

Welcome! :wave:

Were the threads to the bolt creased/bent that it won't take the nut?

This is pretty common with the nut on the heater flanges on Hayward Heaters. I fought with one the other day for about an hour. If it is the slightest bit uneven, or you apply pressure unevenly, they become crooked and just won't go on. I don't think there is a trick. You just have to keep trying, and try to keep it perfectly square. Don't force it. If it is resisting, its not lined up right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.