Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
So turned on the heater and see

water to exchanger 160
water from exchanger 115
water from pool 68
water to pool 72

so then
160 degree water only raises temp of outflow 4 degrees?
and
if water to pool is 72, how will it ever get to 85? or does it add 4 degrees to whatever enters, i.e.
when pool water is 69 out flow will be 73, when pool water is 70, outflow will be 74, etc

exchanger is 260 BTU as in the sig below

thank you

Last edited:
A BTU is a BTU. 100 BTUs can raise 100 lbs of water 1 degree Fahrenheit, or 10 lbs of water 10 degrees or 1 lb 100 degrees.

All those readings tell you is that there's about 11 times as much water flowing on one side of the heat exchanger as the other. Watch it awhile and you'll see the inlet temp rise as the pool starts warming, which will then show the outlet temperature rise until eventually, the pool temperature hits the target you set on the thermostat and it shuts off.

My heater only tells me what the temperature of the water entering the heater is. my 400K heater and my 16K pool works out to about 20 minutes per degree rise. You have a bigger pool and a smaller heater so it will take about an hour to see a one degree rise.

end result is
took 30hrs to get from 64 to 85
which seems pretty good given the efficiency of exchangers

I calculated about $180 of oil and about $10 of electricity
85 is very nice for this old geezer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.