Algae separating after flocculant

Mattjames

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
Harpersville/Al
I have an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. 42,000 gallons. I have the chemistry correct. The pool is green. I added 7 lbs of shock, cal hypo,and waited 1 hour (this is what the directions for the Flocculant say to do)and shut the pump/filter off. Added 2 bottles of Revive( a flocculant) it's been 36 hrs and half of the algae is on the bottom like it should be, but half is floating on the surface. This is the second time this year it has done this. I'm just now starting my pool by the way. A week ago I did the same process with the same results.the first time this happened I tried turning on my pump to let the filter remove the surface algae, but it went straight through my filter and clouded the pool back up. So now I'm back to the separated algae. I also bought a net for algae and it doesn't work. It just pushes it around the pool. This is my 7th year cleaning this pool. I'm not an amateur and have never seen this before. Has anyone seen this before? What did you do? Any ideas? Oh and I have a sand filter.

Welcome to TFP!

There's a couple of things here that we need to know:

Are you doing your own testing or relying on a pool store for that?

What are your test results?

Has that filter ever been deep cleaned?

Algae problems are NOT a filter problem, they are a chemistry problem.

If you want, we can help you to solve this green pool thing. However there will be some things that you will need to do.

You probably don't want to hear this, but there will be a bit of reading involved. Please do read these sections of Pool School:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/126-defeating-algae

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

What we try to teach here will help you to care for your pool in the least time consuming, least expensive methods available. Many of us have gone through what you are experiencing, and have learned that the pool store is not you friend.

Thanks for the welcome! I went out and bought some liquid bleach from the store, a lot cheaper than a pool place. I've been using super shock @$4 a lb. it wasn't easy on the wallet. But anyway I'm in the SLAM process now. I had to put 24 96oz bottles in right off the bat. This is a HUGE pool. They are only 2.75% chlorine. I'll go further for the 6% in little while. I'm gonna download tapatalk and try and get some pictures on here. A lot of the chlorine settles to the bottom after an hour so common sense says to brush every hour. It must be that confounded floc. Thanks for the help. I'll keep y'all posted.

Hi, Matt, Welcome to the forum. :wave:
A lot of the chlorine settles to the bottom after an hour so common sense says to brush every hour
Nope, Chlorine distributes evenly in pool water (your pump is running, right?) VERY quickly and does not settle but is suspended evenly throughout the column shortly (say 30 minutes or so after it is introduced.)

Have you read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry yet?

maryvamy.jpg

first round of chlorine for a 42000 gallon pool.

sy6a5yde.jpg

Yes I have it running constantly. I can see the algae settling. I put in a lot of flocculant. Because I intended to vacuum it out before I joined this wonderful forum and learned about the SLAM process.

Good Job, Matt,

Your on your way. You need to be able to test that Chlorine VERY accurately so you need another chlorine test kit called an FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Re-check your math on the pool size. Obviously, just guessing but your pool looks to be a bit smaller than 42k

While your waiting on your FAS/DPD kit, it is important you replenish again and again to put your FC back at that 16 ppm SLAM value

You have netted out whatever solid debris you can, correct? Chlorine alone along with a good working filter and vacuuming will get your pool crystal clear. Keep that SLAM article at your fingertips and follow it precisely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful with the tablets, they are about half CYA and can quickly push you into a stabilizer range you don't want to be in. Tablets have their place, but a SLAM is not usually one of them.

Be careful with the tablets, they are about half CYA and can quickly push you into a stabilizer range you don't want to be in. Tablets have their place, but a SLAM is not usually one of them.

What he said. Depending on your CYA level they might be nice to use when going away for a few days or vacation but they can add CYA faster than you want if you're not watching the level.

Please add the following information in your signature. If comes in handy for answering questions as the person doesn't have to go back looking for the info , , thanks. :idea:

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Thanks for letting me know about the tabs. I took them out this morning and won't put them back until I'm done SLAMing. My pool is 40'x 25 1/2'. 10' deep end and 3' shallow.
How do i put a signature? Do I have to make a certain amount of posts before I'm allowed? or do I need to be on a desktop computer?

For now the filter is a Hayward sand filter.
1 HP Hayward Super Pump.
No Clorinator or SWG.

This pool is at least 10 years old. I've had this house since 2007 and the pool was run down then. I had to put in a new liner, pump, and filter when I bought the house. The pump has to pull up hill (about 3 ft above pool water level) the guy that built this house was a genius, a real Einstein.

Might be easier on a desktop but it doesn't make a difference as far as the system letting you. You just need to click on "settings" in the upper right of this screen just under "pool school". On that next page over on the left under "My Settings" in "Signature" and that will pop up a box to add the info.
Just makes it so much easier on all of us :wave:

As Dave mentioned, grab a FAS/DPD chlorine test and you'll be better able to track your FC, up to 50ppm. :goodjob:

You have to keep on the SLAM. Maintaining the SLAM level is the most important as the algae is going to keep eating up the FC. The more you add and keep at SLAM level, the faster you'll kill it. FLOC's are mainly a waste of money, a pain in the rear and can clog a filter. Very seldomly will you hear them recommended here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.