High Chlorine after adding boric acid?

cptnding

Platinum Supporter
May 17, 2014
North Atlanta
First, a HUGE thanks for the resource! I have been lurking the forum for a while and recently decided to register and donate to show my support. You guys have saved this newbie big $$$ and taught me to trust my own test results and not worry about what the pool store's numbers were.

Brief history: New pool owner w/ zero experience. Bought foreclosure in Nov 2013. Pool had no cover and no care for at least 3.5 years. Pump and filter had been "removed". Stinky, nasty mess. Drained, cleaned out garbage, found a pool guy. Plaster is in poor condition. Early March 2014 pool guy installs pump, filter, SWG, Polaris w/booster, replaced mastic and fixed grout in spillway. Filled pool, pool guy added chems, taught me how to run the equipment, water crystal clear ever since. (I made a note of the test kit he was using and bought one!)

Constant Ph rise. SWG plus spillway aeration go figure. No other problems. Decided to add borates after reading about the many advantages. Bought from Duda.

6/21
Increased purifier from 35% to 40% as chlorine has been slowly going down in the heat.
Adjusted ph to 7.6
CL 3.2
CC Almost zero
AL 70
CH 280
CYA 70
Salt 3800
Added 50# boric acid and brushed entire pool. It dissolved amazingly fast.

6/22
Couldn't wait. Had to test!
PH 7.4
CL 8.6 (holy ****!)
Borates - Not quite 50
Didn't check anything else because the numbers have not changed for over a month.
Remembered I decided to run the pump overnight because I added the boric acid just before it shuts off. Figured extra 12 hours running pump and purifier at night was the reason for the jump in chlorine.

6/24
Next chance to re-test.
PH 7.6
CL 11.6 (HOLY ****!!)
AL 70
CH 280
CYA 70

Any advice on why chlorine is skyrocketing? Turn off purifier for a while?
Ran test mode on AutoPilot = 27V 6.5A, Power level 2.
Do borates reduce chlorine use?
Thanks guys!

Welcome to TFP!

Turn down the percentage on the SWG fairly significantly right away, and then continue to adjust it more cautiously until your FC level comes out where you want it.

Borates only reduce chlorine usage when something was wrong in the first place, and borates just happened to be enough to overcome the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.