New pump, zero pressure

Jun 24, 2014
Navarre, Florida
Hello, I'm a complete newbie. This is my first pool and the first time turning my pump on and I think something is wrong. I have a 27ft round above ground pool with a Hi-Flo pump and a Clear Water II cartridge filter. Everything sounds normal but I'm not getting a pressure reading on the gauge at all. There is a slight water movement at the return so I know it's at least moving some water. I think the basket is supposed to be full of water but it looks like about half full, kind of hard to see. I attempted to take the cover off with the pump on and water shot out. I managed to get the lid back on and when I did the pump sounded different and I noticed the pressure gauge jumped to about 3psi or so for a second and then dropped back down to zero.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You often need to vent the air out of the filter before the pump will fully prime. The details vary a bit from model to model. Often there is an air vent on the top of the filter that should start open and be closed as soon as only water, no air, is coming out. Also, the top of the pump needs to be below the pool water level.

Thanks for the quick reply! I did open the air vent on the top of the filter with the pump on and water was shooting out but it was very sporadic. Water would shoot out and then a little air, and then water again and then air...it just kept doing that. I checked all the PVC pipes for any leaks but I can't see where any air would be getting into the system. The top of the pump is below the water level, so all is good there.

Well, I figured it out this morning. The skimmer had the vacuum plate installed. I just thought the pool company failed to supply me with one but apparently I just failed to look in the skimmer. :confused: Anyway, all is working great now. Thanks again for trying to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.