Newbie starting to get algae

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
New AGP owner (installed end of March 2014). I've been on the TFP Method since day one and love it. This past week the kids have been gone a lot and the pool has not been getting used much if any. I have the Confer Entry Steps. Over the weekend I noticed some algae on the down stream side of the steps and on the bottom of the pool on the same side of the ladder. I wasn't much, but it was enough to be noticed. My water temp has been mostly around 88-90, but drops to mid-80's with rain. I have a 2 speed pump and have been running it on low for 10 hours per day (5 in the morning and 5 at night). I get at least 10 hours of sun per day and no trees. I brushed the algae, but ever since I've been brushing daily in small areas, but I notice a cloud of dust or algae at the end of each sweep.

This past Sunday my levels were as follows:

FC- 3 (targeting 5 and usually loosing 3 ppm per day with full sun)
CC-0
pH- 7.8 (added acid and brought back down to 7.5)
TA- 110
CYA- 40 (maybe more like 37 or 38)

My overnight chlorine loss was 0 a few weeks ago when I checked before the sun came up. Sunday the overnight FC loss was at most 1 ppm, but I didn't get to it until about 9 AM. Since this started I turned the pump on high for 8.5 hours per day, but I'm still having the problem (and the kids haven't gotten in until tonight).

First, is this normal. IF not, what to do? Second, we are about to go out of town for 10 days and my father-in-law will be adding chlorine, but I doubt he will brush or swim. What to do?

You obviously have a low level algae bloom that ain't gonna fix itself as they say. I'd get it SLAMmed per pool school before I left. Then I'd take my CYA to 40 and maintain a minimum of 4 FC and target of 8 and see how much you lose daily.

My first slam went really well thanks to you guys. I hope to not have to get to that point again. Thankfully, again thanks to you guys, it was a low level algae bloom and the slam went quick. It seems that I need to target the higher end of the FC range (7 or 8) and no lower than 4, to avoid this in the future.

Tomorrow my daughter is having a swim party and we are expecting 15 to 20 teenagers. My guess is 10 to 15 will be in the pool throughout the day. I did a lot of reading old posts and see that it is a good idea to raise the FC before the party. What is a good/safe level to bring it to? I'm coming off of the slam and my FC level was 10 last night and my CYA was at 38 to 40 when I checked it to start the slam.

Thanks again for the advice. This site is awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.