HELP - Does CYA matter if you have a pool liner

callea

Oct 6, 2011
Southern MD
I have my water tested at the local pol store. They test for CYA but they tell me just ignore the CYA reading because it doesn't matter since I have a pool liner. I'm having a hard time getting my chlorine level up this year and wondering if my pool store is giving me good advice.

Your pool store is full of it.

CYA is important to knowing how much FC you need to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

Your pool store guy is probably confusing CYA with CH. CH doesn't matter as much with a liner pool, except if you let it get too high. Then it will cause scaling.

What kind of chlorine are you using? I would hesitate trusting the pool store test for CYA level. I would get one of the recommended test kits to determine the actual levels before adjusting anything.

I'm using 3" Omega Chlor Tabs and granular shock (which I dissolve before adding to the pool). Having the water tested again today. I'll see if they have any of the recommended test kits at the store - otherwise I'll buy one online.

I'm using 3" Omega Chlor Tabs and granular shock (which I dissolve before adding to the pool). Having the water tested again today. I'll see if they have any of the recommended test kits at the store - otherwise I'll buy one online.
they won't have one, very few stores stock them. Be careful, they may try to sell you a different kit saying " it's the same thing". It's NOT.

If all you have ever used is pucks and granular chlorine it is almost impossible for your CYA to be zero unless you recently filled the pool with water. Solid forms of chlorine at about 50% CYA.

Pool store testing is usually poor on a good day, usually useless.

You are at a point where you need to make a decision, follow the pool,store advice or follow the TFPC method. Listening to both will not work.

I would say order one of the recommended test kits now and take control of your pool care. The folks here will teach you the methods, but more importantly give you the knowledge of what is happening in your pool.

Good luck

they won't have one, very few stores stock them. Be careful, they mat try to sell you a different kit saying " it's the same thing". It's NOT.

If all you have ever used is pucks and granular chlorine it is almost impossible for your CYA to be zero unless you recently filled the pool with water. Solid forms of chlorine at about 50% CYA.

Pool store testing is usually poor on a good day, usually useless.

You are at a point where you need to make a decision, follow the pool,store advice or follow the TFPC method. Listening to both will not work.

I would say order one of the recommended test kits now and take control of your pool care. The folks here will teach you the methods, but more importantly give you the knowledge of what is happening in your pool.

Good luck

Great posting!

Well I haven't been to the pool store since I learned they were feeding me a line of ****. Got me a test kit (K-2006) and have been testing every day. Pool store was showing my CYA at zero. My tests consistently show CYA of 50. I was initially adding about a gallon and a quart of bleach each day to keep the FC level between 4 and 6. I did the OCLT and lost 0.8 so I'm not going to SLAM. After about a week I'm down to 1 gal of bleach per day. Everything else has remained balanced which is crazy because every time I would go in the store before they would tell me to throw some chemicals in it. I feel like I'm liberated. Thank you to whoever started this forum and to those that take the time to contribute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah - I've read everything - I'm straight on it now. I was just pointing out how the pool store was giving me bad info. They have it backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah - I've read everything - I'm straight on it now. I was just pointing out how the pool store was giving me bad info. They have it backwards. I really think they try to help, but they just don't know what they're talking about.

Your right for the most part. There may be some out there that understand it and won't steer you wrong, but they may know and just don't want to show it so they can sell product. The others just don't know any better and just sell chem's.
Just my 0.02. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.