Filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years

Jun 11, 2014
Portland, Me
Please no one yell at me, but my filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years. I read that the sand can get worn down and more rounded and thus not as efficient. I do realize sand is as "old as the hills" but I could see the grains rounding from so much action.

Having read the great articles here about cleaning the filter, at the very least doing that every year or two, depending on how much the pool is used, makes a lot of sense.

Re: Sand

There are high resolution photos on the forum which show that the sand does NOT get worn out or rounded. The only time the sand is even moving inside the filter is during backwashing ... which is what maybe 60 minutes per year.

Anyone ever have the rock polishers to make smooth rocks? You have to have them tumbling for days to get them to start wearing down.

I have never changed my sand in nine years and never intend to.

That said, I certainly don't see any harm that can come from it if it is done right....oops, Now that I think about it, I recall many, many posts where people have damaged laterals, overfilled and didn't leave enough freeboard, been unable to get filter to seal, etc. etc. from attempting to change the sand.

Clean the sand bi-annually or more depending on use but change the sand? The more I think about that, it really adds up to a bad idea.

I am a pool newbie and do not have years of experience. I am just posting what the filter website says. Our filter is really old, and we need to inspect the laterals due to sand blowing back into our pool, so we have to change it anyway. I am not educated enough at this point to form a real opinion. :)

"HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHANGE THE SAND ON MY ASTRALPOOL FILTER?

Water is highly aggressive and overtime can wear down the sharp edges on each particle of sand, allowing sand to become "rounded out" or "dual" preventing it to trap unwanted materials. This is why we strongly recommended that all ASTRALPOOL filtration systems receive new media every 5-7 years on a pool and every 3-5 years on a spa. This will ensure optimum performance."

Aint that the truth!
I guess the "glass is half empty" side of me is showing this morning, but is there a chance the filter company wants to sell more filter media? Does it say somewhere in the manual only use XYZ sand?
No, no sales pitch. I am unfortunately a very trusting person and after too many years of getting burned, still believe in people's good intentions initially. Lol. Filtering through all the info can be confusing! But now that I am reading more, i see others have been confused by all the conflicting info!

My filter is probably close to 30 years old, and I do not believe it has ever been cleaned. I have only had a sparkly pool for a few days, so time will tell as I get to know it better, especially once we open it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, no sales pitch. I am unfortunately a very trusting person and after too many years of getting burned, still believe in people's good intentions initially. Lol. Filtering through all the info can be confusing! But now that I am reading more, i see others have been confused by all the conflicting info!

My filter is probably close to 30 years old, and I do not believe it has ever been cleaned. I have only had a sparkly pool for a few days, so time will tell as I get to know it better, especially once we open it up.
Well, in my 35 year career people lied to me every day - sad to say. I have become slightly less trusting and prove things to myself.

This is my first pool, and as I have said all the information I'm getting is like drinking from a fire hose.

Unless you have a heater, I bet that water is a bit chilly in ME!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.