Results

smc

Oct 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
Finally made time to use my test kit. My wife will probably kill me if she sees me using the kitchen island as my test lab.

CDT: 18 FC + 0 CC = 18 TC (not sure I did this correctly)
CHT: 1250 (I dunno, plaster pool still recovering from hard water)
TA: 160
CYA: 90
Ph: 7.5

The water is crystal clear now; it took about 2 weeks to get the green cloud to go away after drain & fill to the skimmer basket 3 times, and pulling all the water through the vacuum at the bottom to try to get rid of the dirt too. More dirt just blows back in - UGH! Nothing growing anywhere, filter cartridge stained and muddy, but otherwise normal. I can't seem to get the pool calculator to work.

Not a plug, but if you use cartridges get UNICEL! The last one I replaced still held its form when I decided it was finally way past time, and the "popular" brand at the pool stores that cost $20 more was garbage in half the time.

The FC is a bit high, even for a CYA of 90. And speaking of CYA, that is also on the high side. I would drain and replace some water (about 35-40% or so) and get that down to the 50-60 ppm range which should provide sufficient protection from chlorine loss due to the AZ sun. The partial drain & refill should also lower the calcium levels (CH), although that will always be a battle for you living in the southwest and dealing with that region's hard water. You pH is fine, but I would not let it get any higher. Try to keep pH between 7.2 and 7.5 which will help manage the high calcium levels and help prevent calcium scale.

BTW, here is the definitive post by one of our Expert members on dealing with calcium scale : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/37243-Progress-on-scale.

smc said:
I can't seem to get the pool calculator to work.
Check out these instructions: PoolMathInstructions

If your CH level is really 1250, it is time to do a massive water replacement (or reverse osmosis treatment if available). With CH at 1250 and TA at 160 I expect you are already experiencing calcium scaling.

If your CH level is really 1250, it is time to do a massive water replacement (or reverse osmosis treatment if available). With CH at 1250 and TA at 160 I expect you are already experiencing calcium scaling.

1250 is where I stopped adding reagent. I chiseled the scale off, ultimately, with a cheap old chisel 2 years in a row. It just grows back. I think I'll do some more draining to get the dirt out - I need to find an attachment to connect to the return jet so that my hose clamp rig doesn't keep blowing off.

I did test after filling with tap water. I have a 5-stage RO unit just like the one on that page; I remember my dad plumbed in a water softener for the pool at our first house in Tucson. He also designed and built a solar heater, but I remember an algae problem that came with it.

Thanks for the input!

Calsaway.com is the first company I've heard about for the RO treatments, and it is supposed to be a high-pressure mobile system.

Not sure if they service your area, but you could check. It would be good if you could get that 1250+ outta there!

They have reviews on Angie's list, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.