Foam floor instead of sand what do you use to keep the ladder from crushing foam?

May 24, 2013
Hey guys, going through details here, I am concerned about one aspect. That being the ladder that goes in the pool.

What should be used to keep the ladder from crushing the foam?

I am concerned that not only will the foam get crushed, but it could also cause a tear in the liner if that did happen.

I know they sell a thick vinyl pad that the ladder sits on, but does that keep the foam from getting crushed?

If I need to put something down in place of the foam where the ladder will be for a solid base for the ladder, I have no problem, but what is the best thing to use?

Some folks use a bathmat under the ladder to protect the liner but I don't know if that would protect the foam. I did see one post a few years back where they put a pair of child's water sandals on the feet of the ladder. Unfortunately the image link doesn't work anymore, but it was a cute idea and spreads the downward forces over a wider area.

Pool noodle is a great idea. Better than a mat I think.

I have a 3/4 inch thick black rubberized mat that I got at Tractor Supply. It's sort of like a truck bed mat material. You buy it by the foot off a big roll. Only problem is with the water circulation, it will flow out from under the steps now and then. We are always moving it back. I'm going to do the noodle thing as that's a fantastic idea.

I read that a pool noodle will fall apart over time.. I use flip flops with the feet zip tied to the straps to keep them in place. I have 1" foam under mine and it will leave an indention if you don't put something down.. not sure if that could lead to more serious problems down the road.

I was at HD getting the pavers for under the legs of my pool and found this. ENVIROTILE They are recycled tires and might work good for under the ladder to distribute the weight and not dimple the foam. They had a decent weight to them so hopefully they won't get pushed around from the current of the pool when the pump is running.

Actually I was thinking of putting something above the foam itself before the liner... if I can find a stiffer, but thin compound that doesn't have sharp edges I think that would work better long-term. My concern with any sort of plastic or somesuch would be that it would crack and puncture the liner... Then again, in the area of the ladder I could skip the 1.5" foam and I could just put down a 1" thick set of pavers where the ladder will be and just put 1/2" foam on top of that area taped to the rest... That way the amount of crush would be insignificant, the foam would protect against abrasion with the pavers and in general everything would be more solid...

The only issue with that is there is no flexibility with moving the ladder anywhere else. Then again, why would I want the ladder anywhere else?

I have foam under my Intex and I do not put anything under the feet of the ladder inside the pool. With a pool full of kids all summer, when I took it down last year there were only very slight indentations where the feet were. Certainly not enough to even consider putting anything under the feet this year when I put it up. I actually never even thought of it.

For reference, I used half of the supplied ladder that came with the Intex. I have it mounted onto a deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.