Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a new pool (2 weeks old). All seems to be going well, but it has been absolutely pouring here for the last 3 days. The water level is creeping up past the top of the skimmer. We know we need to get the water down, but how do you do that?

We have a cartridge filter, so there is no way to back wash that we know of. Do we just bail?

Thanks to everyone who has been answering our questions.

25K gallon
vinyl IG
cartridge filter
SWG

Your water will still filter, it just won't "skim" the surface, getting the floating bugs and whatnot. If you want to drain some water....my filter has a cap that unscrews at the base of the filter, sort of a "waste" spout....look and see if you have something similar. Otherwise if you have a submersible pump, or you could just use a hose to syphon the water out....

Keep an eye on your water chemistry, that much rain can throw your levels out of whack.

Does your filter have a WASTE setting? If so, attach a hose to the waste port (that would be a pipe sticking out from the filter housing somewhere), move the valve handle to WASTE, and turn the pump on. Water will come gushing out the hose, draining the pool.

We have gotten a ton of rain in MI so I have drained water off our pool twice now. What I did was remove the drain plug from the cartridge filter and installed a pvc adapter and then a ball valve then a reducer to 3/4 inch. Now I just hook up a garden hose and run it out to the street drain and start the filter, open the ball valve and adjust the return pressure so I am not pushing all my water through the hose. Then I just check back on the pool every 15 minutes and see where the level is. The parts were less than $20 at lowes. I will also use this method in the fall to drain some water before I close the pool.

I like that modification. It's less splashy than using the WASTE setting and you can direct the water to where it'll do some good.

I just reviewed the OP's setup again and realized it's an inground. Don't inground pools have bottom drains? If so, isn't that how one would drain excess water rather than using the waster port or a sump pump? My knowledge of the mechanical workings of an inground pool is slim to none.

Many cartridge filters have a garden hose type valve/connector where you can hook up a garden hose and open the valve to drain water out (while the pump is running).

Another approach is to syphon water out of the pool. You need to have somewhere lower than the pool's water level where the water can go. Fill a garden hose with water, put one end in the pool, and the other end somewhere below water level and water should flow out of the pool without a pump. Be sure you don't leave it running too long.

Is there any chance you have a spicket on top of your pump like in this picture?

drainthing.jpg

I hope I didn't break any rules by using Stever's picture.

Adam

Still raining...

No, we don't have one of those spigots. We're siphoning water out through a hose.

We may need to start building an ark.

Deb04 said:
Still raining...

No, we don't have one of those spigots. We're siphoning water out through a hose.

We may need to start building an ark.

Home Depot sells a small pump that attaches to a garden hose...I used it to drain my old intex pool. Completely submersable...You can hook it to a garden hose plug it in and drop it in the pool...wait I would drop it in before actually plugging the extension cord to the outlet...You don't want to drop it in while it has electricity running to it. That could be bad :hammer: It only costs about 35 or 40 dollars.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.