Rick from Nova Scotia

Hi everyone. Glad I found this site as I am a new pool owner and people seem very helpful from what I have read so far. We bought a pool today, 12'x22'x52". I live on a lake and after I found out that I was looking at $800 for water delivery for the pool I am now reconsidering using lake water to fill my pool.... is this a no no? I haven't tested the lake water but it has a mucky bottom and I don't think it would be the best of ideas unless there is some sort of filtering system that I can buy for the garden hose that is attached to my pump. Is this do able or should I stick with city water delivery? By the way I am on well water here so draining my well dry is not an option :)
I have read on some posts that people say to shock the **** out of you pool if using lake water which is fine but would like to avoid having issues with the water right from the get go and that is why I am wondering if there is some sort of filtering system that would solve my issues? Thanks in advance everyone.
Rick

Hello crazyrick and welcome to TFP.

You can use the lake water but you'll have to treat it to the SLAM process and have a good test kit on hand to get you through the SLAM successfully. You can look at those kits here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

As far a using a filter to run the hose through, I don't know if you can. Your pool filter will catch all the particles once the pool is full and the equipment is running. It will take some time to clear the water but it is do-able. You can read about the SLAM process here :lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. :cool: