Newbie Pool Owner Questions

Jun 24, 2014
albany oregon
I have a proseries 16 by 48. It is filled. Unfortunately the pool was a last minute purchase so I did my research after it was up and being filled. I do have a test kit coming in the mail, so I wont say my test strip results because I have been reading the forums:)

My question is this. Since I know my water is tap so the cya would be 0 right? I added 1lb 11 oz of stabilizer. Now do I slam the pool for a few days? If so do I do it with the cya still at 0 or at 30ppm according to what I added? Do I add baking soda now or after slamming or when test kit comes? I guess I just need to know what to do if anything to keep my pool good while the test strips get here.

Thank you so much for any help you can give
-Krista

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Thanks for reading and ordering a test kit before posting :goodjob:

If it is new water, there is no need to SLAM. Just maintain the correct FC level with bleach for the amount of CYA you added (assume it is active) from the FC/CYA Chart.

Why do you need to add baking soda? It raises the TA, do you already know your TA is low?

I know nothing until my test kit comes. I just really had no idea on what to do because most of what I was reading pertains to already set up pools and not freshly filled pools. Thank you so much for answering quickly! Just add bleach until I know my levels for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.