Pool Cove

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Hello,

I am a new owner of a 16x32 oval Radiant pool. I am completely new to pools and trying to learn as much as I can. The pool was installed into a very steep hill. I watched the entire excavation and installation processes and it really seemed to me like they did a great job. However, the wall along the side of the hill that is mostly buried was bowed a teeny tiny minuscule amout (that only I could notice because I am very picky). I emailed my installer and inquired if this could affect structural integrity (aesthetically speaking I was not concerned because it was not noticeable). Next thing I know, I get a call from the builder while I was at work saying he came out and dug the wall away so it could try to settle back out, and they would return in a few days to bury it again.

To me, this means no, it should not have been curved even a tiny amount. I began wondering if perhaps it was because they back filled the dirt prior to completely filling the pool, but the research I did on the Internet says the correct way is to back fill first. So I found the Radiant pool installation manual and read it. While it does not saying anything about the backfill, it raised a different question for me. It says that a 6-8" "pool cove" should be installed around the perimeter after leveling the sand. I do not remember them doing this. I very well could have missed it (as I was in and out of the house during install) but by going back through the photos I took of them installing the liner, it looks like the bottom is perfectly level and I don't see any sand built up around the edges.

So my questions to you all are...

1. Is the pool cove something I would be able to feel from the inside of the pool so I will know whether or not it was installed before I call and start making accusations?

2. If they did not install the pool cove, the installation manual says "failure to follow all instructions will void the warranty"... Should I raise ****? They would essentially have to take the whole pool apart and I feel like that just creates a ton of opportunity for more things to go wrong. I already wish I hadn't mentioned the slight bowing because they scratched the heck out of the pool digging it back out (althought its the buried side so it doesn't really matter).

Thank you for any advice.

I don't know.

I have an in ground and I'm an owner not a builder or installer but this is what I found. It looks like yes you should be able to feel it. You would need one to protect the liner and it doesn't look like the type of thing someone would forget.

Someone with more knowledge of installs should be along.

Attachments

• pool cove vinyl-liner.jpg
    pool cove vinyl-liner.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 76
Thank you for responding. There definitely was not something that looks like that. There was only sand on the bottom. Though the install instructions say to build one out of sand. I can't post pictures right now because I'm at work but I will try to later. I e-mailed the installer and asked about it. I'm glad to know I will be able to feel it, because then they can't lie and say they did it because I will climb in and find out.

Just want to make sure you understand I don't know about building or setting up a pool. I just did a quick search and found some products. Maybe it's common for installers to use sand, maybe the "store bought" is faster and more reliable ... I don't know so I'd still wait for someone who does to come along. Should be soon as folks are getting off work and there will be more traffic here then.

Unless you can get in there and feel for it. Sounds like if they made a cove out of sand you'd still be good from your install instructions.

I don't think they made any sort of cove, is what I'm trying to say. Based on the pictures I took, the bottom is perfectly flat. I haven't been able to get in yet to check it out as it hasn't been the 5 day waiting period yet. My main concern is it voiding my warranty with Radiant. It specifically states in the manual if all steps are not followed exactly as stated, they will void the warranty. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.