Why did my water level drop?

May 23, 2010
This is my first pool opening as newbie owner. I didn't open myself ( but I doing my own pool water mgmt thanks to TFF, still learning), hired pool company to remove cover, reconnect pumps etc. But the guy who closed last season was the same who opened and the first thing he said was the water level had dropped too low. Cover was the tarp type, solid. The cover accumulated a lot of water/snow, which I used siphon to drain before they arrived. Using siphon, it took me 6 days and nights. He thinks the cover had leak and I drained off some pool water as well. I am not sure. Firstly we found no holes in cover. He said could be many pinholes. But my doubt is that the water on cover was dirty after all the rain and snow over last 6+ months. With tadpoles and what not, it was horrible. But the pool water underneath was crystal clear( I am so proud of myself since I started managing the pool just last season midway :D). So how can pinholes be the correct theory?

Secondly and more importantly, its been more than a week we opened, and after the initial refilling, the water level has not dropped. The pump wasnt priming initially and there was lot of air but since then its all good. No bubbles coming out in pool. My pump runs 24/7. So I am baffled why the level dropped significantly over winter.

P.S: I can't edit my signature for some reason. But here's my modified one:
Cleveland OH, In ground vinyl, hayward extended cycle DE filter, Hayward pump, approx 45K gallons.

Please change your pool details in your signature and add the location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The level often drops over the winter, possibly due to you draining some of it like you mentioned. If it is not dropping now, don't worry about it ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.