Getting ready to set up an intex 16' x 48" and need some advice

Jun 23, 2014
Hey everyone, I'm new here from Long Island, NY and I'm getting ready to set up an intex 16" x 48" ultra frame above ground pool.

I made an introduction thread here (http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...m-LI-NY-Looking-for-recommendations-on-an-AGP), but figured I would make another in this section specifically to helping me get started on my pool journey.

I've spent the past few days reading as much as possible here including pool school and all the various helpful articles. This website is full of great information and helpful people, it's really a great place. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on what to do, but would like some advice from those who have been through this already.

First off, I do not actually have the pool yet. I plan to purchase it this week in a local store and set it up this weekend. I'm hoping to have it ready to swim by 4th of July, though it may be a little cold haha. I purchased my house a year ago, and it previously had an inset above ground pool, but it was too far gone and was taken down. However, the 1 foot deep hole for the pool is still there, and I would like to set this one in it. Im looking at the intex 16' x 48" ultra frame pool, as ive read these can be set in the ground and seem to be a good choice. Here is a link to the pool I'm looking at. It holds about 5000 gallons of water at 90% full.

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...16-488cm-ultra-frame-round-pools/54451eg.html

I plan to get it from target, here.

http://www.target.com/p/16-x48-ultr...der-pool-cover-instructional-dvd/-/A-13800613

Is this a good starting point for me? I figure it should come with everything I need at first and I can alter/improve as I go from there. I'm handy and have no problem doing my own work and building things.

Next thing is, I've read about the importance of testers and have already ordered the taylor k-2006 test kit, As soon as I get it I plan to test my tap water to see what I may need to do to get my water chemistry right. What do you guys think might be a good idea for my initial start? I'm thinking of picking up some bleach to add chlorine right away as well as having baking soda, borax, etc on hand. I was thinking of getting a chlorine floater also to add some 3" tabs at first to help with chlorine and get my CYA up. Thoughts? Suggestions? I plan to follow the tfpc method to maintain my pool. What should I do to get my pool ready for swimming as fast as possible?

Also, I kept some things from the old pool setup, such as a hayward gm series sand filter, a 115V 3/4hp pump, some pool tools, etc. I'll try to get pictures of this stuff up as soon as possilbe as maybe you guys can better identify it. I also plan to get a hayward through the wall skimmer as ive read these are much better.

So, what are your thoughts on my plans? Anything I should do differently? Anything I missed? If theres any questions please ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would urge you to ensure that the pool location is level as that is the most important first step.

Forget about stocking up on borax and baking soda ... only buy what you know you will need based on test results. {If you do not mind, can you tell me what makes new members think they need to buy bleach, baking soda, and borax? Happens all the time and is the reason we no longer use the BBB term.}

You will want to have bleach and stabilizer on hand (I would skip the tablets) when you fill. Any adjustments to pH or TA depend on test results.

Yes I plan on making sure the ground is as level as possible.

I figured by reading pool school those are the things needed to adjust your fc, ph, ta, so I may as well have them on hand already rather than having to go out and get them later when I'm ready to adjust ph and ta. Wasn't going to stock up on them per say, but maybe just buy a box of each.

Only reason I thought of tablets is they would serve both chlorine and stabilizer purposes, I could leave them to float in a chlorine floater to continually add chlorine/cya while at work, and I could monitor my levels for when to stop using them. Do you suggest just getting stabilizer separately?

Greg

Long Island, NY

I would urge you to ensure that the pool location is level as that is the most important first step.

+1 anything you can do to ensure the site is level prevents a possible catastrophic disaster later on. Just like a house, the better the foundation the longer it will last.

It's nice to have stuff handy and I understand the rush of a new pool and wanting to get it up as fast as possible but you likely need to take a step back and breathe. You can test the water but you're not saving much time over testing it once you start to fill.

5K gal, 16"X48" AG, K-2006 .. City water, well water ?? You aren't going to need a lot of anything to adjust it's chemistry except bleach.

No floater and no tablets, it's not how we roll. If you've done some reading about the TFPC method and it's what you're going to follow tablets shouldn't even be considered. If you browse some threads about excessive CYA readings you'll see how people using tablets always run into excess CYA problems and the amount of bleach or FC you need to use to sanitize your pool is huge.

Like I say, take a step back and first get the pool, install it properly and then worry about water chemistry. You can always read up and in doing so might see where having a bit of chemicals handy would be appropriate in your case but stocking up isn't always the thing to do. At least for the backing soda and borax what you don't use in the pool can keep your whites their whitest in the laundry. ;)

I would not go as far as what Kiss is saying.

There is nothing wrong with using tablets as long as you know everything they are doing to the pool and track it (which is sounds like you were planning to do). I might want to add 20ppm of CYA right away to protect the FC from the sun and add 2-3ppm of FC with bleach right away and then you could use tablets to add more CYA. But, tablets are not often the cheapest option and since you do not have them now, I am not sure I would buy them.

Do you suggest just getting stabilizer separately?

Yes.
Your plan to use it at first isn't terrible but it's just more trouble trying to calculate and control.
Go to Walmart, Homedepot ... and grab some stabilizer, use pool math and toss it in a sock, sock in a skimmer and you should be good.
You'll likely only need about 2lb for the first treatment.

Attachments

• Stabilizer HTH brand.jpg
    Stabilizer HTH brand.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 50
I think you're right with needing to step back and take a breath.

I'll be filling the pool with New York City water. Supposedly it's very good, so I don't think I should have much trouble with the chemistry.

I'm going to go pick up the pool, and grab some bleach and stabilizer while I'm out. I figure those are the 2 things I'll need to add right off the bat and than take it from there.

Thanks for the help guys.

Also, these are the pictures of the things I found in the shed. Id like to figure out how to set up the sand filter as I've read it's much better than the cartridge setup the intex comes with.

ru5avynu.jpg

pymu6yzy.jpg

nebe3e2u.jpg

Greg

Long Island, NY

There is a lot of helpful info on youtube about pools and equipment. I love show and tell :whoot:

What is the model number of the filter ??

There is a lot of helpful info on youtube about pools and equipment. I love show and tell :whoot:

What is the model number of the filter ??

I watch YouTube videos on how to do things all the time haha. Even if I know how to do it I'll watch to pick up different tricks. They're really a great resource.

I went through my shed yesterday to clean/organize and see what all I had. Now that I can actually get the filter out I'll take a look later and see if I can find a model number and take some better pictures. Judging by its looks, it's old.

Greg

Long Island, NY

I think it's pretty old too as I didn't see it listed on the Hayward site. Tried to find a manual on it. Once you get the model number of it I'd send them an email to see if they can give you more info on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.