Pump Upgrade for Intex Ultraframe 12x24x52

Jun 16, 2014
Baltimore, MD
I know everyone will tell me to search the forums but I have been for like 20+ minutes and I can't find my answer :(

I have the 12'x24'x52" Ultraframe pool with the stock pump. I want to upgrade it ASAP so I am looking for what is the best/standard upgrade. I want to stay with a sand filter but I am fine purchasing a new sand filter. The current pump says it filters 1,600 gallons per hour. The reason I am doing this is I setup and filled my pool this weekend and went to setup the filter and can't find one of the hoses from the pool to the filter so now I can't finish setting it up. I've been wanting to replace the pump/filter so this is just a good reason to do it.

Also, if I get a new pump do I need any special hoses, fittings, plungers, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Many people like the upgrade to the Intex 2650 pump/sand filter combo. Or you can go with non-Intex equipment like a Hayward 1HP Matrix 2-speed as a much nicer upgrade and a larger sand filter.

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

Well I called my local pool store and they recommended the Hayward VL40T32 so that is what I just ordered. They said it should match up with existing hosing and fittings much better. I will post an update in a couple days once I get it setup and running. Hopefully I made a good choice lol.

Match up with the hoses and fittings better than the Intex 2650?

I've been very happy with the results of my Intex 2650 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I think there may be a couple of advantages for the Intex 2650, particularly filter size and sand capacity. But I don't think there is any doubt the Hayward you mentioned will be a huge step up from your cartridge filter.

Match up with the hoses and fittings better than the Intex 2650?

I've been very happy with the results of my Intex 2650 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I think there may be a couple of advantages for the Intex 2650, particularly filter size and sand capacity. But I don't think there is any doubt the Hayward you mentioned will be a huge step up from your cartridge filter.

Well I currently have a Intex sand filter that came with my pool... I think it is a 1500 gallon per minute filter.

**** i think I should have ordered the Intex 2650 like you mentioned... mine already has the 1.5" hoses... I'm not sure if this pump will really be an upgrade or not now.

The main thing I noticed about the Hayward you mentioned, if I found the right one, is the sand capacity is only 42 lbs. The Intex 2650 has a 16" filter that holds 100lbs of sand. The 2650 has plenty of flow for circulation and vacuuming without being over kill. I think the Hayward may have less valve functions also, but I'm not 100% sure about that, or even the significance of it. The 2650 does come with a complete set of Intex hoses / valves / and adapters too.

The Hayward may have an advantage in getting replacement parts.

I don't want to be a downer but, I definitely don't think the Hayward you mentioned is large enough in the filter department to be an upgrade if you've already got even the small Intex sand filter. Perhaps the experts can chime in if you haven't paid for it yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.