Need to replace Pool Light

JEB123

Jun 6, 2014
Miami/Florida
I have a lighting problem. My pool is very old as you can see in my signature. I had it refinished about 15 years ago and being that I had a 120V lamp and it was badly corroded, I had the contractor remove the old light. He cut the cable and tossed it, leaving only the rusted niche. Big mistake! Now, I want to replace it but I don't know where to begin. I figured I'd add a 12v transformer and put a sealed LED lamp in there rather than trying to replace the old niche but the first problem I ran into is that I can't remove the old cable going up to the deck through the conduit. I removed the deck plate and disconnected and capped off the mains but the conduit seems full of corrosion and god knows what kind of muddy funk that won't let me pull the cable out. You can feel a 90° bend where the cable comes into the niche in the pool but it won't budge. Help!:confused:

I had the same thing happen on my pool (check my signature too!), they had to go under the deck and run all new conduit. It's not as bad as it sounds. They simply drove it in with a sledgehammer.

Mine was galvanized steel, and after all this time it was rusted closed. No point in trying to save it if you have the same issue.

Thanks for the replies, Mas985, the conduit is full of water to the top as is the hole below the deck plate where it comes up through the concrete deck.
RobbieH I guess that means replacing the niche also? If so I may have to wait to refinish the pool again since I would have to break the wall to replace, no?

I wish I would have watched them work on mine. I don't THINK they replaced the niche, but unfortunately I'm not positive. Here's the light we took out. How old is this thing? I haven't found anyone able to identify it. :)

If you touched the power cable, it would get you all black, and would snap in pieces with the slightest touch.

light2.jpg

light1.jpg

Looks like a Lanco type K lol!! Hey that looks a lot like the one that came out of my pool but I think mine was an old Pentair. Still, I know my niche has a lot of rust and dirt that is getting into the pool whenever I touch it, I doubt it can be reused. That's why I figured if I can get the old cable out I may be able to adapt a sealed type LED lamp in there somehow, would definitely be a lot cheaper than breaking through that wall. Isn't the niche what seals the water from leaking out into the ground behind the wall? I'm surprised it hasn't leaked. Or has it? Hmmm, that's another can of worms.

Thanks for the replies, Mas985, the conduit is full of water to the top as is the hole below the deck plate where it comes up through the concrete deck.
Ok, but I meant using pressure to force water through the conduit to flush out the debris.

Ok, but I meant using pressure to force water through the conduit to flush out the debris.
I will try with the pressure washer but I've tried pulling on the cable from below and it's rock hard. Still a good idea and worth a try, but I think the cable is almost as thick as the conduit, seems like it may be rusted in place. I think they never expected that to have to be replaced. I'll try it this weekend and let you know if it works. If not last resort may be a super long drill bit! Thanks for the idea.

I tried the pressure washer but no go. The conduit is only 1/2" wider than the cable and has an elbow at the niche, I broke the cable pulling at it from the top. I think the only option is to go under the concrete deck from outside and replace the whole show, niche and everything. That old concrete is about six inches thick, there's no breaking through that! This could get expensive fast. Any other ideas? I have nothing to lose at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.