Calcium Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
That hardness level is perfectly fine for your vinyl pool. With vinyl, calcium hardness is hardly an issue. A very high hardness level (much greater than what you have) could make your water cloudy.

Calcium is important if you have any plaster, concrete, tile (grout), or stone surfaces in contact with the water. There can also be situations where a particular calcium level is required by a builder or equipment warranty. Other than that just make sure it doesn't get too high (to avoid scaling).

I'm not sure about fiberglass, a fiberglass pool might be affected by a low calcium level or it might not. Vinyl will not be bothered at all. There might maybe be some effect on metal surfaces, but if so it is very very slight.

The pool store people don't know, they are just repeating something they read somewhere. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Plus they would really like to sell you some calcium even if you don't need it. At least with calcium it is comparatively unlikely to hurt anything. Some of the products pool stores push on people can cause worse problems than the ones they are intended to solve.

Fiberglass pools might or might not need calcium to help prevent staining and to keep cobalt from leaching from the gelcoat. Jury is still out from everything that I have been able to find on the subject. In a vinyl pool calcium does nothing for your liner BUT having some calcium hardness in the water WILL help prevent foaming (soft water has more of a tendancy to foam than hard water). Personally I think a CH of around 150 is more than enough for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.