Update on problems with pool and chlorine readings.

Jul 8, 2008
Ok, so I received my test kit (Yay!!) and have been going through the painful process of reducing my CYA levels. Here are the current readings on my pool:

FC: .5
CC: .5
Alk: 220
ph: 7.2
CYA = 100
22,000 gallon pool
cartridge filter.
vinyl liner.

Now, I am boosting FC with a few bottles of bleach tonight, but even though there is such a low chrlorine amount in the pool, there is a strong chlorine smell and there are lots of bubbles forming when in the pool and swimming. Could I be doing something wrong with my testing and are my chlorine readings skewed some how? I am using the generic shop rite brand bleach.

Allusion,

You need more chlorine in your pool.....lot's more. Chlorine is consumable and must constantly be replenished and yours is w-a-a-ay too low. That's why your pool has that bad chlorine smell.

1. How does your water look?

2. What is your current CYA level?

3. You have a typo of some sort (ppm=100) tell us what that means.

PPM = 100?

Do you mean CYA = 100?

If so, you have more draining to do. Congrats on your kit!

See the CYA Chlorine chart for your targets for chlorine....would you describe the bubbles as the beginnings of "cloudiness"....with your FC having fallen so low, be sure to bump that chlorine up to the max end of the "target" level....or consider shocking, in case algae is starting to take hold. The smell is usually CC's.

Thanks for the quick replies. My pool is alil cloudy right now, but that did not start happening until Friday when I first started draining and adding water to the pool. It has been clearing up while I have had the filter left on. Tonight is my second night of draining the pool below the skimmer and adding water. I am afraid to shock my pool because I thought I read some where that shock has stabilizer in it, and that is what I am trying to avoid. Am I wrong with that and should I hold off on bleach and just shock it instead?

Some forms of products the pool stores sell as "shock" contain CYA. Shock is something you do, not something you buy.....the pool stores don't tell you this.

You should be "shocking" your pool with liquid chlorine, aka bleach or clorox. They are all sodium hypochlorite, the pool store "shock" is usually 10-12.5% strength, the clorox or generic bleaches are usually 6%. Anything less than 6% is probably not worth the money. I recommend you stick to the liquid forms of chlorine, especially for now.

You need to raise your FC level up to the minimum target for your CYA level, see the chart. Without it you will have a full blown algae bloom on your hands..... :shock:

1. You need to drain enough of your pool to get your CYA to a manageable 60ppm......that means that sooner or later, you need to drain 40% of your pool.

2. Meanwhile, you need to put in at least 2 gallons of bleach each day until you decide when you can drain and refill and get your CYA down to that 60 mark. The two gallons is just a rough idea that will help reduce some of the murkiness for a while but the long-term cure to get your water sparkling is to get that CYA down to 60ppm at the most.......less than that is acceptable also.

Thanks again for the replies. I will be adding the 2 bottles of bleach tonight after I get my water levels alittle higher. Please note trhat the cloudiness did not come until I removed and added water but that has been going away with leaving the filter on. I really have a feeling my CYA was a lot higher the 100 because after I drained and refilled my pool, the CYA readings didn't flinch below 100, so I am sure I have at least 2 more times of draining and refilling my pool. Any additional info is appreciated.

Also, how are CC's added to a pool? How do you remove them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC's are added by biologics, algae, etc; or by ammonia. The only way to get rid of them is by shocking them which is raising your chlorine levels really high, I think for yours about 20. Congrats for not using the powdered shock; most do contain stabilizer, except for the cal-hypo. So to shock you have to use liquid chlorine (bleach), lots and lots of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.