Pool Lifts for handicapped people

az2008

Jul 20, 2008
I cannot get out of a pool because of weak legs and need to buy a pool lift. I would like to hear from anyone that has expertise in this area and I need recommendations on brands and where to find a person to install the lift.

We are moving to Arizona in the next month and plan to buy a home with a pool. I do not have any particular home and pool in mind although I am trying to find a house with a play pool already installed.

az2008

I don't know where to get them off hand but I did see that they were over 5k :shock: but worth every penny!

I'd like to eventually get one too so I'm gonna watch this thread. 8)

Another option is to have a ramp in the pool, but that's easier to install when the pool is first built or replastered. We had this done when we built our pool as my wife has a walking problem (she had polio when she was 3) and a ramp works well with only one small step at the edge of the pool. At some point, I'll post a picture of this since it's worth a thousand words.

Richard

I had asked the same question here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/chair-lift-handicapped-access-for-igp-t5376.html

I looked up Aqua Creek Products, as suggested, and contacted Aquatic Environmental Systems, which is their local metro Phoenix distributor, since I live in the metro Phoenix area. Aquatic Environmental usually does only commercial pools and originally did not want to talk to me. When the receptionist was about to hang up the phone, I asked if she knew anyone who did lifts for residential pools. She asked one of the salesmen if he knew and he took my call to speak with me directly. As it turned out, the salesman was more than willing to work with me and he was wonderful! His name is Mike Geyer. AES is located at 1733 E. McKellips Rd. Ste 108, Tempe, AZ 85281, (800) 833-7665, (480) 947-3400.

Within 24 hours, Mike had emailed me a price list for various lifts, including shipping and installation. In just a few days more, he came over to take a look at my pool and the potential installation area. He brought brochures for several different lift devices and went through the features of each of them. He showed me which ones they install in all of Scottsdale's community pools, etc.

I went with the Pro Pool Lift Pro http://www.aquacreek.com/pro-pool-lift.htm . From the time I placed the order to time of install took two weeks. (It had to be ordered from the manufacturer and truck shipped.) I am so pleased with the lift and Mike's service; I couldn't be happier! The total cost of the lift, shipping, installation and tax was just slightly under $5k.

az2008 said:
I cannot get out of a pool because of weak legs and need to buy a pool lift. I would like to hear from anyone that has expertise in this area and I need recommendations on brands and where to find a person to install the lift.

We are moving to Arizona in the next month and plan to buy a home with a pool. I do not have any particular home and pool in mind although I am trying to find a house with a play pool already installed.

az2008

I work with people with disabilities and have several companies that we utilize for people who need lifts...I think there are several that are not electric but would need to have someone else to supply the man power...I don't know that you would want to have electric in the pool. They operate much on the same line as a boat lift. If you have ever seen the lifts that you drive your boat onto next to the pier or dock...then there is a big wheel that you turn. The scissor Jack lifts the boat out of the water. The same is true of this type of lift. I will see what I can find in the next day or so and post them back to you and everyone else here. I have to find them on my work computer.

Good luck...

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/paitentlifts/sunrise&quickie/sshsp/index.html This is for a Hoyer Lift...Hoyer is the standard in comfortable and workable lifts. It may be a little pricey, but worth the cost for the dependability

http://www.poolsupply4less.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=63&p_catid=17

This one is less expensive, and may be the way to go if pool is in ground...otherwise not a good option for a deck on an above ground pool. Should be in cement.

http://www.aquacreek.com/pro-pool-lift.htm

This one looks like it could be easily and securely bolted to the underside of a deck on an above ground pool...It also looks fairly simple to operate.

http://www.planetaccess.us/ez-pool-lift.htm

this one is probably the most simple...it could be mounted on any decking and it utilizes a hand pumped hydraulic lift to lift or lower someone into the pool.

If I find anymore I will let you know...I have not been able to find any of the regular platform lifts that I was talking about...but these utilize a sling or a chair which might be more comfortable...Good luck and good swiming...

cubbybeave

cubbybeave,

I looked at the various lifts that you linked, and I know that I would be on the ground trying to get in any of the seats that are swinging around on the chains. Which ones are you using for people with multiple sclerosis who have poor balance and legs that barely move? I would be getting on the chair from my walker, not a wheelchair, if that helps you visualize my situation.

It looks to me that the Aquacreek Prolift which both you and Chey Dee have described may be the best for my purpose. If you know of something similar that is less pricey, I would like to find out about those too.

Thanks to all of you for your help. It has been a dozen years since I was last in a pool, so I am starting over now and think it is about the only way for me to get some exercise. I have lots to learn as we have never had a pool in our yard for which we were responsible.

az2008

az2008 said:
It looks to me that the Aquacreek Prolift which both you and Chey Dee have described may be the best for my purpose. If you know of something similar that is less pricey, I would like to find out about those too.

Thanks to all of you for your help. It has been a dozen years since I was last in a pool, so I am starting over now and think it is about the only way for me to get some exercise. I have lots to learn as we have never had a pool in our yard for which we were responsible.

az2008

az2008~

I hope you can find a lift that works for you. I have someone special I'd like to get wet and I can't right now because it's too dangerous to get them in the water but I'd love for anyone to be able to swim in my pool! 8)

I would definately need a lift with a seat. Those Hoyers are scary for people to ride on. I've had many patients scared out of their wits over them and it's not because I'm a crazed aide heck bent on taking ya for the ride of your life! ... :twisted: :mrgreen: NOT AT ALL! :shock: :lol:

But most of all, I wish you luck with the lift. It would definately pay for itself in smiles! :-D

az2008 said:
cubbybeave,

I looked at the various lifts that you linked, and I know that I would be on the ground trying to get in any of the seats that are swinging around on the chains. Which ones are you using for people with multiple sclerosis who have poor balance and legs that barely move? I would be getting on the chair from my walker, not a wheelchair, if that helps you visualize my situation.

az2008

az2008,
I suppose it would depend on what kind of pool you got. If it were an in ground pool I think any of the lifts I showed you would work. If it were an above ground pool the best bet would be from a deck at pool top level. Then you are talking for your purpose putting a ramp on the deck to get to that level. I guess you should do a little more research on lifts once you find out what type of pool you are going to be getting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suppose it would depend on what kind of pool you got. If it were an in ground pool I think any of the lifts I showed you would work. If it were an above ground pool the best bet would be from a deck at pool top level. Then you are talking for your purpose putting a ramp on the deck to get to that level. I guess you should do a little more research on lifts once you find out what type of pool you are going to be getting.

Aqua creek shows a chair pool lift for AGPs and spas which do not require deck mountings or ramps. They say it is designed to clear wall heights of up to 60 inches and wall thicknesses up to 14 inches. There would be no need for a ramp and/or deck for an AGP then. http://www.aquacreek.com/pro-spa-60-lift.htm

It is good knowing that at least there are options :-D

I am not interested in an above ground pool. We had one many years ago in Albuquerque and I would not get another one. It was already in the home we bought or we would not have had it.

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to all of you for the information.

az2008

CheyDee said:

Aqua creek shows a chair pool lift for AGPs and spas which do not require deck mountings or ramps. They say it is designed to clear wall heights of up to 60 inches and wall thicknesses up to 14 inches. There would be no need for a ramp and/or deck for an AGP then. http://www.aquacreek.com/pro-spa-60-lift.htm

It is good knowing that at least there are options :-D

That would be the one I would go with...Seriously...if you can afford it go with it...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.