You Test, They Test, Everyone Tests & ALL Different LOL

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
I have had two pools in a total of 23 years and I have always taken care of my pool myself.
My most recent pool was filled in January of this year 2008.
I have tested my water probably more frequently then needed but I'm that type of guy.
I have also learned that when you test you need a good kit but I won't bore you with that as you here it here hundreds of time. I have learned to test your water on a regular basis. Regular basis is all dependent upon usage, rain, draining, contamination from bugs and dirt just to mention a few. I try and maintain 5 ppm FC and that has taken care of my pools and have NEVER had any algae blooms. Let me get back to the reason I'm writing this story today.

As I have said before I test my water myself both liquid and test strips.
A few week ago I took a sample to a local National pool store chain.....
My readings were FC 5, TC 5, pH 7.6, Alk 100, CYA 50 and CA 500!
CA 500 no way! It has been 250 on everyt test since I filled 6 months ago.

So today Sunday I decided to play a little game and take 3 samples of the pool water to 3 different stores in my local area. I know I'm lucky to have 3 all within 2 miles from my house.

All 3 results were different and insure that I need an accurate reading for my chemicals..

Store 1, Store 2, Store 3,
FC 5, 5, 5,
TC 5, 5, 5,
Salt 2600, 3400, 3800,
Calcium 300, 250, 500,
CYA 50, 70, 0,
Alk 100, 90, 110,
Phos 500, 250, 350,

Store # 2 has been around the longest and has the most accurate reading compared to mine.

Stores 1 and 3 just wanted to sell me all kinds of junk from bags of salt, phosfree and one wanted me to replace from 40% of my water then come back and see them for salt, acid and who know what else.

So what have I learned from many years around the pool. Take the time and learn how to maintain your water as well as take your own tests and it still doesn't hurt to backup your reading with ones from a local (honest) pool store.

Since my pool was finished I have spent a total of $54 on chemical which most of that was acid with a few bucks on a clarifier and one lb shockit.

Thank you all for your pawst help and assistance on many occations.
Hope this message helps someone in taking the plunge and learning more about your pool..

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona 8)

Enjoy your pool and don't lose any sleep over minor changes from day to day.

Re: You Test, They Test everyone Test and ALL Different numbers

I've heard of people doing that experiment, and everyone who does says the same sort of thing - the pool stores tests never agree with each other. At least with yours, the chlorine was consistant between the 3! But it just goes to prove the necessity of being able to test your own water.

I got my water tested yesterday at a pool store that uses a LaMotte system for most of their tests, but Taylor for others. Their numbers were a bit off from mine with the TF100. Chlorine levels were lower, pH was higher, TA was higher and CH was lower. CYA was pretty close though. I trust my own testing better. I needed to go there to buy some replacement reagents.

The first year we had the pool we usually had the water tested at a place that uses a strip reader. We only go there for supplies now. Best prices in town.

Yes it seem that the pool stores want you to buy stuff you may not need.
Testing yourself and using a conssitant method will get you a more accurate reading.

Now I have to figure out if I want to remove the phosphates that I have with PHOSfree or just maintain a good chlorine level and balance wate and clean my filter on a regular basis.

Have any of you guys used this Phosfree on a regular basis?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.