Need some help with a leaky pump and skimmer lid

Jun 23, 2014
Falls Church, VA
All,

I am rather new to the whole pool care thing. I bought a house with a 16000 Gal inground pool that was built by Sylvan in 1984. It was then replastered by them in 2006. Anyway the pool came with a 3/4 hp Hayward Super II pump that was holding well at 16-20 PSI but then it dropped to 7ish. Thanks to a lot of help from reading this forum I got it back up 12, but it looks like the motor needs replacing to get it the rest of the way.

That being said I am getting ready to replace the motor, but the pressure side coupling needs to be done and so I am planning to do it at the same time. Though, the issue is that I have no idea which coupling to get because of how its currently attached (see picture). Any help on replacing the coupling would be much appreciated.

Secondly, one of the skimmer lids was the wrong size and I found the correct one to replace it. The issue is that the lid does not fit flush with the deck. I think the deck ring (?) is missing, but have no idea what to get. Its an old style sylvan skimmer that measures 8.75 across the top.

Thanks for all your help.

Poolbie

Hi, welcome to TFP! If there is still a Sylvan builder in your area, (I think they are Anthony/Sylvan now.) check and see if they have the part you need for the skimmer or know where you can find one. If they can't help you may have to try and find something that same diameter as the opening and see if it fits.

As for the leaky fitting, you will need to pull the old fitting out and replace it with a piece of pvc and a quick connect fitting or find an internal threaded fitting to replace the current one. Check the pump for any cracks or splits in the threaded area. A Hayward plumbing kit like this one should work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.