Should I bring cya down more?

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA
Ok long story short, started this year with sky high cya [150]due to trichlor. Converted to BBB. Replaced allot of water[ 80%] and got it down to 70. I've been running the pool at 7-9ppm chlorine since then. It's been beautiful with no problems except... I find that if I don't add chlorine every 3-4 days I get a bloom of algae. It's as if it's happens pretty easy and doesn't stay stable long. Is my cya still too high, keeping in mind I'm in south ga, pool temp is high 80s, my chlorine seems to be burning off fast since I have direct light in my pool all day. It's also been raining almost every evening, from .05 -.75". Also from evaporation and vacuuming to waste I've had to add several inches each week to the pool(fresh well water) which should continue to drive the cya down.

If I bring the cya down more will it be easier to manage the chlorine level and keep algae at bay?

What will help keep the chlorine steadier? Or am I out of luck because my pool gets direct sunshine all day with no break until the sun goes down?

Here today's test results, doing a chlorine loss test tonight also.

Fc- 8.8
CC- 0
PH- 7.4-7.5
TA-70
CYA-70

It's Vinyl so calcium hardness isn't tested but it runs about 100.(moderately hard)

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me to go read xyz booklet or relearn the method. I just need a little advice in my particular case cause every pool/environment is different. Thanks in advance
zyqu4uhu.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Aren't we supposed to be adding chlorine daily? Just wondering after reading every 3-4 days. If it's supposed to be every 3-4 days, I need to tweak something and get on that plan. ?

You need to be adding FC every day to keep it above the minimum for your CYA listed in the FC/CYA Chart. Once the FC gets below 5ppm, algae is going to start taking over.

Lowering the CYA would likely make the problem worse as more FC would be lost to the sun.

Did you follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process after finding algae? If not, you may still have algae lurking and waiting to explode when the FC drops a little.

I add a gallon to 2 gallons every 3-4 depending on bather load, rain etc... but I've gotten algae several time so I knock it out with 3 or so gallons, vacuum to waste the next day and refill with fresh water to top it off. Idk maybe my problem is because I'm not adding a little daily. I'm adding more but waiting 3-4 days...maybe that's why I get blooms in between adding...

Jb I think that's the answer. I think I'm just not totally killing it off and it comes back real easy once the level drops. I'll get on that. I just didn't have time to"maintain"when I slammed it Sunday after finding algae

I agree. SLAM it and pass the 3 criteria to stop. You will actually use less FC if you are testing and adding daily up to around 8ppm instead of raising it higher every 3-4 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.