new to pools just got liner replaced

Jun 23, 2014
auburn, me
I bought a foreclosed property over the winter.

16x32 inground pool roughly 18,000 gallons, brand new liner and fill with pond water about two weeks ago. Nothing has been put in it yet except initial liquid shock to clean up the water and some bleach since.

Just got a k-2006 test kit delivered.

What should I be testing at this point, other then the PH which is coming out at 7.0

I assume most of the chlorine has dissipated and there is no CYA in it?

also the pool is plumbed as shown

with the only return directly across from the skimmer, (another port I though was a return on the same side of the skimmer is actually plumbed as a suction line along with the skimmer on a 4 way valve)

so the shallow end of the pool is not getting skimmed?

Should I replumb it as a return to increase surface movement?

Last edited:
WELCOME! You are doing a great job so far! You bought a good test kit and you are asking questions! SWEET!

Get some chlorine/bleach in it TODAY as in NOW!

Have some chlorine on hand to keep FC in it at all times. Shop around to see where your best price is.

While you are getting some extra chlorine get some CYA/stabilizer to put in it today as well. Use a sock tied to a brick in front of the return. You can/should give it a squeeze every once in a while to speed it up.

When adding your chlorine add as much as if you have met your CYA goal even though the CYA will not show up on the test until about a week after you put it in.

To get your PH up you can buy some PH up or you can angle your return so it aerates the water good. That will cause it to go up.

TA-needs to go up as well. It works with the PH. Read pool school for this one as I have not had to work on mine so do not know....

Once you have added chlorine, CYA, and brought your PH up you need to read and read and read pool school

You are on the right track with everything you are doing. Keep it up!

Kim

alrighty pb pool math I should target a ph of 7.5?

looks like I need to add 187 oz liquid CYA to bring to 30? I assume it should actually be at 0 as it is from a lake, or should I test it?

Water is crystal clear other then some surface bubbles, do I need to start with the SLAM process?

You are on the right track. I will tell you that liquid CYA is $$$$ compared to dry BUT it will not need the time to get dissolved as the solid so...

PH of 7.5 is a good place to start.

I would not think there is any CYA in pond water.

SLAM??? Try this for me. Read about the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt Do this. Do you pass it? If so no slam is needed. If not....SLAM time.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.