Watch out with those salt test strips!

Sep 25, 2012
Dunedin, FL
...just added salt in prep for my Hayward AquaRite install. Used pool math and dumped in 6 bags, the included TEST strips showed low so I added another bag...still low. Added another bag. Low. Started up salt generator after running pump 24hrs and 5400PPM!!! It even tasted salty. Ran to pool store to verify, yup... 5000+
Drained maybe 2,000gal of expensive florida water and its still 4100.
My advise, throw out those test strips!!!

Hoping it will be OK to run this high.
Should I drain even more? (this is after I spent many days balancing the water of course)
Thanks,

My Hayward SWG also came with test strips. I also have a Taylor salt test kit. For me, the Aquacheck strips are more accurate, yielding results within 100ppm of the digital readout on the Hayward unit. My first test strip try came out low because I didn't look carefully for the top (somewhat faded) point. I watched their youtube video http://tinyurl.com/nhjnmph and now I get good results.

Regarding too much salt, your SWG will shut down if you have too much (or too little) salt. When you drain to get into range, Hayward recommends that you favor the lower drain.

George

I also was getting way low readings on the salt strips. When I watched the UTube video I saw you are only supposed to put the strip in an inch of water. It doesn't state this on the bottle so I was immersing the whole strip in a cup full of pool water. When I did it this way I got a much better reading although still lower than my salt kit I ordered from our host. They should really put this info on the bottle.

Well, I have to defend the strips. We have sold these strips @ TFTestkits for about 7 years now and I have probably replaced not more than maybe 2-3 sets.....so few I can't remember. Obviously, there is an agenda here because I sell them so you'll have to judge how much that influences me.

Did you give aqua-chek an opportunity to replace the strips for you?

Did you give them an opportunity to review with you the test procedure involved?

I really hate to see a product bashed unless it is VERY deserved and I don't think they deserve this. Reports here on the forum indicate they will consistently give results that are quite adequate. Many people prefer the increased accuracy (and increased cost) of the Taylor Salt Test but we have found the Aqua-chek strips to be a pretty decent value.

As an aside, I will say that using them past the expiration date is very iffy but that was never an issue in this case.......just thought I would mention it.

I have seen several cases where people have added salt without getting it brushed in properly or otherwise not getting it fully distributed. When they tested the water near the surface, the salt read low. When the salt finally was fully distributed, the level came up to the expected level.

Try the strip again to see if it gets a reading closer to the swg.

In any case, if your test is significantly different from the expected value based on starting level, amount added and pool volume, have the water double or triple checked with another method such as a meter or drop test kit.

I've had the same problem. Bought strips with the test kit from this forum, and also picked up strips at the pool store. Different brands, but I'm certain they are the same exact strip. Directions are almost nonexistent. Place in water, look at spike, use chart. Well, how much water, do you submerge entire strip? How long should the test take? I've left strips submerged for 20 minutes and still got a reading of 1500, when my SWG still says salt good.

I'm going to try what was suggested above, and only submerge 1/3 to 1/2 of the strip. Still no clue how long I should wait.

In the end, I simply won't add salt until my SWG says I should.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too have found the salt strips to read low. But I have also found the pool store's electronic instrument to be way off in either direction.
Apart from when you suspect SWG cell to be dieing I think what it reports is the most reliable.

I wasnt bashing any brand, I was just meant as a general warning be careful with strips. I certainly didnt mean to offend anyone.
Probably just a simple case of operator error.
Anyhow not a big deal, I dumped more water and got it down, pool looks great now.

I remember one year I got a batch of test strips that was reading off (but I don't think it was by a lot). Called the company and they sent me out a new bottle. With my SWG, I find that it always reads about 200ppm lower than test strips. But I guess no matter what the test strips read, it's the SWG's read that determines the generation of chlorine.

Also, I'm surprised the directions weren't on your bottle. I know the ones I use (sorry can't remember the brand) had directions. I use a shot glass just for putting the test strips in :)

Friend lent me his test strips when I was getting ready to install my swg and it was like trying to match the number of freckles lol. I opted for the Taylor salt drop test kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.