Low Flow, Poor Circulation - Pump or Filter Problem?

Hello,

I tried to search but I couldn't find anything related to my problem. I'm sure it exists and I'm just probably not searching the right words.

I have a 16 x 32 inground pool, Hayward DE filter and 1HP Hayward pump. I've got 2 returns and 1 skimmer. We opened the pool yesterday and it seems like there is just not enough of movement from the returns to circulate the water. We have cleaned out the grids so they're not the problem. Does this sound like my pump motor is going bad therefore not pushing out enough of energy to circulate the water or could this be a filter issue, both, neither? Any ideas would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.
Donna

Hello Donna,
Welcome to the forums.
Check your lines for any clogs/debris also. When you shut your pump off the the gauge go to zero? What the pressure when running? I'm thinking you have a multi function valve, what is the flow in the bypass position?

We have around 10 on the filter gauge and we've usually always had that. I notice that on the pump in the area where the basket sits there are air bubbles. How would I check if there is a clog?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the gauge goes to zero when the filter turns off. This year when we tried to turn the pump on for the first time it didn't work. My husband tapped it with a hammer and it kicked on. We just ordered a new Hayward Super Pump since it appears that mine is probably on its way out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.