Can I add borates during SLAM?

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

I don't recommend it. Most ways to add borates also affect pH, and since you can't measure pH during a slam you wouldn't be able to monitor this. Also, borates is considered an optional improvement to water feel with minor algae inhibiting properties. It is not a panacea, and will not help with your SLAM. The single most important thing you ca do to prevent algae is maintaining continuous FC above minimum for CYA level.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

I waited till after the FC levels came down and did the borates. Between coming off of a slam and adding the borates, the water looks amazing. Also the original problem I was chasing of the swg not keeping up on chlorine has been eliminated. My chlorine demand is low enough that I have to run the swg under 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point of borates is to slow the pH rise. So you need the TA lowered first. If the TA is high, then the pH is going to want to rise and with borates it will be more difficult to lower it. That is why step 1 of the borates process is lowering the TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.