Pool Light Hole Cover

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Is there such a thing as a Pool Light Hole COVER? As you will see below, this is what one of the lights looks like, I'm kinda scared to take the other out as I'm going to assume it's in the same horrible condition. As you will see from my avatar photo, the previous homeowner left the lights OUT of the pool after opening. So they have been bad for quite some time. At this present time, we do not have the money to replace the lights as it looks like the whole assembly costs roughly $360/each. I took the one light apart this weekend to find what looks like a major light explosion. Even the rubber seal was blown out.

Suggestions as to what I should do? And if this light hole cover exists? I know they make light caps to change the color of your light but I want to block off this hole completely, if at all possible.

pool light.jpg

POOL LAST SUMMER.jpg

Last edited:
I have never heard of a light cover like you are wanting. Why not just put the light back in until you are ready to replace them? And make sure there is no way for power to be supplied to the light.

Well the light wont go back together now that I took it apart, due to the o-ring being completely blown out when the light blew up :(

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/JandyJLNCWLGProSeriesNicheCoverAdapter/143870p1?gclid=CjgKEAjwoJ-dBRDbjfKN7IzN0FsSJAAP0G_DnFPveMG2znFrcQ9nJL80ar0b7pgr--wpUciP_5w5g_D_BwE

Maybe this is what I am looking for?

My husband is no electrician but he thinks the wiring completely blew up (we have these little raised boxes on the pool deck and the wiring at this "outlet" looks fried).

Well, you can just leave it out or cut the wire. But you may need the wire to pull in the wire for the new light. And having the cut wire sitting in the pool just give me the heebie jeebies with the possibility of it getting power and shocking people.

Well, you can just leave it out or cut the wire. But you may need the wire to pull in the wire for the new light. And having the cut wire sitting in the pool just give me the heebie jeebies with the possibility of it getting power and shocking people.

I agree! I noticed the wire connected to the light also looks a little frayed so I dont want the light in there AT ALL at this point. The power is turned off to the lights though.

Before you enter the pool with the light out like that go to the transformer or junction box and disconnect the wires then cap them with a wire nut. If there is no transformer or junction box disconnect them at the switch or remove the switch. DO NOT RELY ON A SWITCH. DISCONNECT THE WIRES. You probably want to leave the wire in the conduit, it makes it much simpler to pull a new wire through.

Go by a couple of pool stores and ask, they may have some type of cover.

Before you enter the pool with the light out like that go to the transformer or junction box and disconnect the wires then cap them with a wire nut. If there is no transformer or junction box disconnect them at the switch or remove the switch. DO NOT RELY ON A SWITCH. DISCONNECT THE WIRES. You probably want to leave the wire in the conduit, it makes it much simpler to pull a new wire through.

Go by a couple of pool stores and ask, they may have some type of cover.

Okay you lost me, I have a box by the pool equipment with 2 switches. One for the pump and I'm assuming the other is for the lights. The one I am assuming is for the lights is turned off. Now, I also have 2 raised boxes that are on the pool deck, one by each light. That being said, I'm assuming the boxes go to each light.

Where exactly do I need to have the lights wires disconnected? At the light itself, in the box located on the pool deck, or inside the electrical box by the pool equipment? I'm trying to see if my uncle, who is an electrician, will mess with pool electricals and come disconnect for me, but he lives about an hour and half away and also works so. I know excuses, excuses. :) Still waiting on a reply from him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm facing a similar issue and am sick of battling pool light leaks. Was wondering what you ended up doing?

Ditto! Did you find a solution? I'm thinking of seeing if I can just find a lense and groomet/rubber seal. That would look better than a flat piece of plastic or a metal plate covering it.

I have a similar problem; the light fixture is intact but will not stay in the niche in the pool wall. It just hangs out like it's just been born and still attached with an umbilical cord. The light doesn't work but it's a small pool and we don't really need it. Can I just use some Mr. Sticky glue to permanently glue it to the niche? I bought a Kreepy Krawly for this summer, but I don't want to put it in the pool until I fix the stupid light. Or am I the stupid one? LOL

I have a similar problem; the light fixture is intact but will not stay in the niche in the pool wall. It just hangs out like it's just been born and still attached with an umbilical cord. The light doesn't work but it's a small pool and we don't really need it. Can I just use some Mr. Sticky glue to permanently glue it to the niche? I bought a Kreepy Krawly for this summer, but I don't want to put it in the pool until I fix the stupid light. Or am I the stupid one? LOL

They make several epoxies that can be used under water. I think I'd go that way and sort of "tack" it in several places instead of trying to seal the whole thing. Or maybe drain down to just under the light, turn the light 10 degrees or so and re drill holes for the screws.

I think what we're going to do is purchase just the lens portion of the light and screw it on with a rubber watertight seal. Will disconnect all wires from the breaker box and/or put a "dummy" box over the switch (just in case it ever decides to go "live" on its own).

And this is the way NOT to do it.
It's leaking.
Oh well. Live and learn.
But, we said "too bad" and filled her up anyway! We'll get s new light in the next year . . . or ten.

d8b7c7d1a955f232de83155cbe883cf5.jpg

e9cee65c8f107e1e341d98f898bd90eb.jpg

Well my husband ended up just removing the floating light. As for the hole, I found a niche cover online. I haven't ordered it as I have taken the time to measure my hole in my pool ... But it comes with optional led lights if u still want night light in your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my husband ended up just removing the floating light. As for the hole, I found a niche cover online. I haven't ordered it as I have taken the time to measure my hole in my pool ... But it comes with optional led lights if u still want night light in your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how do the LED lights run?
Mind sharing a link to it?

We have also had problems with our light and I just want it gone! I removed it last year because I was battling algae, and the entire light just disintegrated when I removed it. We closed the pool as it was but need to do something with it this year. I thought it would be pretty easy to find a cover for the hole, but apparently not! I did find the niche cover lynzizzle referenced, but I too wonder how the LED lights work. Here is the link:

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/jandy-jlncw-lg-pro-series-niche-cover-adapter/143870p1

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.