DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pump's 18months old (Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP) and it's dead.

I'm no plumber but can work the electrics. My handy-dandy multimeter tells me that the pump is receiving the correct voltage but all it does is hums and occasionally clicks. It doesn't pump water. :(

I'm going to get Pentair out on a warranty call - I've been lead to believe that I have a 3 year warranty on this set up – we’ll see.

A couple of questions for the experienced:
:?: Any idea what parts are most likely to have failed, or, if this isn't a warranty job am I most likely looking at a new pump?
:?: What can I do whilst waiting for the warranty folks to stop my pool turning in to a swamp?

Any advice is appreciated! Cheers.

One thing you can test is the impeller. You want to make sure it isn't stuck. Turn off the power, open the pump lid and remove the pump basket. Reach into the opening back toward the motor and see if you can turn the impeller. Debris sometimes gets in there and prevents the impeller from turning.

A bad capacitor is one thing that will cause the humming. Not expensive or difficult to replace.

A bad motor is a possibility but at 18 months not as likely as the other possibilities.

matj6876 said:
My pump's 18months old (Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP) and it's dead.

I'm no plumber but can work the electrics. My handy-dandy multimeter tells me that the pump is receiving the correct voltage but all it does is hums and occasionally clicks. It doesn't pump water. :(

I'm going to get Pentair out on a warranty call - I've been lead to believe that I have a 3 year warranty on this set up – we’ll see.

A couple of questions for the experienced:
:?: Any idea what parts are most likely to have failed, or, if this isn't a warranty job am I most likely looking at a new pump?
:?: What can I do whilst waiting for the warranty folks to stop my pool turning in to a swamp?

Any advice is appreciated! Cheers.

Does it trip the breaker after humming for a minute? It could be the starter switch - what you can try is to gently beat on the motor housing with the pump on and humming (a 2X4 or the butt end of a hammer is good for this), If it comes on, it's the starter switch just being a little corroded - you can pull the end cap off of the motor and use an emery board (like to file your fingernails) on the connection between the 'nubs' at the bottom of the copper 'V' and try it again.

I hope I explained this well enough (and that you remember to turn off the pump before reaching into the back of it!!! :hammer: )

While working to getting the pump fixed, anything to can do to create some circulation in the pool is a good idea. A cover pump, sump pump, etc. will go a long way to keeping the pool clean while you are working on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.