DE pressure not going up

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm a little concerned about the pressure on my Haywood DE filter. I've had the pool for 6 months now and have done several back washes. After backwash and adding new DE the starting pressure comes up to about 10 psi which is the low end of the markers on the gauge. The high marker is at 20 psi. I've been back-washing when the pressure got up around the 20 psi mark. However, the pressure is not longer rising after the last backwash. My last backwash was in April and the pressure is still sitting about 10 psi. Is this normal or does it indicate an issue? I see no bubbles in the pump basket window so I don't think air is getting in. The flow seems good as far as I can tell but I'm not sure how to measure it or what it should measure if I could. Might it be not enough DE?

First, ignore the markers. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure (NOT waiting for a 10psi rise).

If you have a clean pool, there may not be anything for the filter to catch. You may only need to backwash a couple times per year.

The filter would clog up is you did not use enough DE and after a backwash the pressure would not drop back down. After a backwash you should use 80% of the normal full DE amount.

If the flow feel fine and normal, I would not worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.