Predicting a problem this fall

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
I live on a large grain farm. In the fall semi load after semi load after semi load of corn will be brought to my house to dump on conveyors that carry the corn to different grain bins. When the combines harvest the corn, the kernals are separated from the cob, but a very thin tissue paper like membrane (we call it bee's wings) stays with the kernal. When the corn gets dumped at my house, the membranes (about 1/2 the size of a pinkie fingernail) fly everywhere and get into everything. I have to vacuum my kitchen about 3 times a day during harvest since the stuff flies in whenever the door is opened.

As far as managing the bee's wings, here are my ideas...

Keep solar cover on when not in pool and use garden hose to spray bee's wings to skimmer.
Use a skimmer sock, these things are so fine, I think they'll go straight to my filter.

I'm interested in hearing from any other farm families that have the same problem or if you have something that you struggle with every year like this, I'd like to hear how you manage it. Closing the pool won't be an option at this point since the temps will still be too high.

I haven't had the same problem but I've had similar ones. The maple seeds, then the catalpa seeds, then the cottonwood seeds... I don't have a cover, I just got a skimmer sock and let the skimmer do it's job. Empty it once or twice a day and just skim off the top when I wanted to swim. I didn't even need to backwash because the sock got almost everything. Just make sure you've got your returns pointed to everything makes its way to the skimmer. In fact, the bee's wings could be a nice way to visualize your circulation patterns and be able to adjust them to be the most efficient! :)

Gee, chbjade84 you sure know how to put a positive spin on things. I like how you think. Scott.MI...that's a good idea too, but we sometimes have A LOT of wind and I wonder how much weight I would need to attach to it to keep it from blowing away. If it's too much work to take it on and off, I worry that either it won't get put bach on or we won't swim. As an example of our "normal" windy day, my deck box made of plastic and about 4' long will sometimes get blown 1/2 way across our deck. It's mainly full of patio cushions though. Our swing set even got blown over once, but that was a bit out of the ordinary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.