New member from LI, NY. Looking for recommendations on an AGP

Jun 23, 2014
Hey everyone, my name is Greg and I'm from Long Island NY. I bought a house last year with a partially inset above ground pool. It had seen much better days, and was removed as to not be a mosquito infestation. Now that we've gotten settled in the new house, this year I'd like to set up another pool. The hole is still in the ground, about 1-2ft deep. I was looking at this intex 16' x 48" ultra frame.

http://m.target.com/p/16-x48-ultra-...der-pool-cover-instructional-dvd/-/A-13800613

I've read these can be set up inset like that and they seem to be the pool of choice. Just looking for opinions from those with more experience and have been there done that.

So please, point me in the right direction on what to purchase from the start. What's the best/most cost effective route to go. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to TFP!

What size was the pool you took out?

You can go with whatever size the old pool was, minus a foot or two in diameter. Fill the space with sand if you want, or use
landscaping retainers to act as a retainer.

You will need to either modify the ladder, or put some sort of deck and ladder for entry into the pool.

Consider also hard plumbing the pool, with the addition of a through the wall skimmer. Many of us have done this, and it works way better than the floating over the wall skimmer that comes with Intex pools.

Once you decide how you want to do it, it is strongly suggested that you purchase a very good test kit to maintain your water. The TF-100 or K-2006 are the best you can get.

Reading up in Pool School about pool water maintenance is also a good idea. This will help you understand the what and why of how to keep your pool in pristine condition.

You can browse my photobucket album to see what I've been doing to my 15x48 Intex, for a few ideas.

Far from a pool expert... but I have been working with the 18' version of that pool that is now three years old. Given that it's three years old, it has held up well for my standards. BTW, looks like it's potentially cheaper at Wal-Mart.

The only thing I disliked about it was the filter. (Again, I'm not an expert), but IMO the filter is erring on the side of inadequate for the 18' version of the pool. The 18' included a 1500GPH filter, so it took well over 5 hours to pump slightly under the pool's capacity. Replaced it with an Intex sand filter from Amazon and haven't looked back.

The old pool was also 16' round. I'm not worried about digging a little extra to be able to fit another 16'.

I kept a lot of the old pool stuff such as filter/pump, pool tools, through the wall skimmer etc. I'll have to dig it all out of the shed and take pictures so you guys can tell me what's worth using.

The one you linked at Walmart is the 18' which I don't understand why, is $50 cheaper than the 16'. Anyone know why it's cheaper/what's the difference? I would go for that one, but I don't quite have the room for it and that would be a lot of extra digging.

Also is this a good section of the forum to have this thread, or might it be more seen or get more replies in a different section? Thanks.

This is a good section to get the info you need. Once you have a pool set up, any questions you have can be asked in the appropriate section.

Sounds good. I only ask as I'm hoping to pick this up this week and do my installation this weekend. I was going to go with the intex 15' metal frame with the blue pool, but it seems the ultra is a better alternative for a longer lasting pool. So is the 16' ultra frame a good starting point, to set it up with everything that comes in the kit and alter/improve from there?

Yes, it's a good starting point.

Before you set it up, you will want something to support the legs. Concrete paver blocks work well, as do 12" pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 pressure treated lumber.

Make sure the pavers/wood blocks are all level to each other. No more than 1" difference across the pool, and no more than 1/4" between any two adjacent supports. The closer to perfect you can get this, the easier the pool will be to set up, and the longer it will last.