Is my Pool Supply Store honest with me?

Jul 11, 2008
Flintstone, GA USA
My Pool Supply Store told me I needed to add 17 lbs of Calcium to my inground pool. My pool is fiberglass sides with concrete / plastered
bottom.

I asked her why and told her that I have never in 37 years added Calcium to my pool. She said that it would keep my vinyl liner from cracking. I told her that I did not have a liner pool. Then another person there told her that I did not need it in my pool since I said I never added it before.

My pool is 18 x 36 3 ft to 9 1/2 feet.

Do I need it and if so why?

I have your Trouble Free Pool testing kit. How do I test it myself for calcium level?

She said everything else in my pool was fine.

Thanks
Tom

If part of your pool exposed to the water is plaster, then yes you need some calcium in the water. Otherwise the water will etch calcium out of the plaster, shortening it's lifetime and making the surface rough.

If you have a vinyl liner there is no point in adding calcium. Though apparently that does not apply here.

If part of your pool exposed to the water is plaster, then yes you need some calcium in the water. Otherwise the water will etch calcium out of the plaster, shortening it's lifetime and making the surface rough.

If you have a vinyl liner there is no point in adding calcium. Though apparently that does not apply here.

Thanks to both of you for your answer. I will check my calcium hardness and correct the calcium if the test shows that I need it.

I think I do because my bottom was just done 2 years ago and it is getting rough feeling, in fact my grandchildren scratched their toes on the bottom today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.